Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

Darling

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post June 16 2010, 19:15 PM
mls
Getting Addicted

How do you write Darling in Irish?

mls

Post June 16 2010, 19:32 PM
Raic
Laoch na nGael

Do you mean the term of affection or a surname?

Muirnín = darling
If you were talking to the person and calling them darling you'd say "A mhuirnín".
Always wait for confirmation of my translations.

Post June 16 2010, 22:21 PM
Gumbi
Craiceáilte

I would have said "A stór" darling (talking to them)
Last edited by Gumbi on June 16 2010, 22:24 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Await confirmation always, please.

Post June 16 2010, 22:24 PM
Bodhránbob
Giostaire

That would be a stór Gumbi
-----------------------------------------------------
Nuair a shuíonn an coileach péacoige ar a thóin, níl ann ach turcaí
Chief Buffalo Breath
===========================

Wisdom is never on the menu, you have to own the restaurant.

Post June 16 2010, 22:25 PM
Gumbi
Craiceáilte

Of course it would be :oops:
Await confirmation always, please.

Post June 17 2010, 12:07 PM
Raic
Laoch na nGael

Gumbi wrote:I would have said "A stór" darling (talking to them)

:top: That's fine too, though I'd translate it more along the lines of "My treasure". Pretty much the same idea though.

Post June 17 2010, 14:42 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

Really, any of the many Irish endearments could be rendered as "darling" or "sweetheart" in English. When such phrases as "a stór," "a rún," "a thaisce," "a leanbh," " a chroí," "a chuid den tsaol" and "a ghrá" are translated, they tend to be rendered variously as "darling," "dear/dear one," "love," "beloved," "sweetheart" etc., rather than literally as "treasure/secret/child/heart/etc."

"Muirnín" ("a mhuirnín" in direct address) is a direct translation, though, which is usually (though not always) the best way to go. If "darling" is going to be repeated multiple times, however (such as in a song or a poem), I'd throw some of the other endearments in there as well.

Redwolf

Post June 17 2010, 14:53 PM
Raic
Laoch na nGael

Redwolf wrote:Really, any of the many Irish endearments could be rendered as "darling" or "sweetheart" in English. When such phrases as "a stór," "a rún," "a thaisce," "a leanbh," " a chroí," "a chuid den tsaol" and "a ghrá" are translated, they tend to be rendered variously as "darling," "dear/dear one," "love," "beloved," "sweetheart" etc., rather than literally as "treasure/secret/child/heart/etc."

That's true. But in the case of "treasure", it's actually used in Ireland like that. Like you'd actually say "You're my treasure" with that sense. Probably more with the older people... things like that seem to be disappearing now I suppose, though it's still used in my family, anyway! Then again... I have a great aunt who calls me her "little fur coat" :lach:

Post June 17 2010, 16:54 PM
seanín duillean
Getting Addicted

Raic wrote:I have a great aunt who calls me her "little fur coat" :lach:

Haha that's cute! Does she do it in English or as Gaeilge?

Post June 17 2010, 23:04 PM
scoobytyson
Craiceáilte

seanín duillean wrote:
Raic wrote:I have a great aunt who calls me her "little fur coat" :lach:

Haha that's cute! Does she do it in English or as Gaeilge?

Yes indeed I too have been called that many times, I just wasn't sure what people were saying: "little fu####"
The money-grabbing wankers who control this site can ban me too. Talk about recruiting trolls! I've spent enough time putting money in their pockets.