Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

buidheachas mor le dia?

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post May 31 2010, 16:44 PM
willhanrahan
New Arrival

Doing an MA in Literature and am majoring on Irish Literture. Have come across a novel by an ancestor of mine, Michael Hanrahan, who writes this : buidheachas mor le dia.

Does this mean praise to god almighty?

Post May 31 2010, 16:49 PM
Raic
Laoch na nGael

willhanrahan wrote:Doing an MA in Literature and am majoring on Irish Literture. Have come across a novel by an ancestor of mine, Michael Hanrahan, who writes this : buidheachas mor le dia.

Does this mean praise to god almighty?

Thanks be to God/Thank God is what "Buidheachas le Dia" would mean, the mór is an amplifier, meaning in this case great/considerable/lots of... so something like "Considerable thanks be to God". Buidheachas is an old spelling of the modern "buíochas".
Always wait for confirmation of my translations.

Post May 31 2010, 16:50 PM
Gumbi
Craiceáilte

I don't know if that's an old spelling or not, but it sounds like it should be (that is, unless it's an old spelling of it)

Buíochas mór le Dia This means "Thanks be to God" Don't forget the accent marks!

Edit: Raic has confirmed that it's an old spelling :)
Await confirmation always, please.

Post May 31 2010, 16:53 PM
willhanrahan
New Arrival

It is an old spelling, used in A Sworsdman of the Brigade....I am much oblgied!

Post May 31 2010, 17:02 PM
Bodhránbob
Giostaire

In Munster Baochas ..(sometimes)..no fadas :lol: )
-----------------------------------------------------
Nuair a shuíonn an coileach péacoige ar a thóin, níl ann ach turcaí
Chief Buffalo Breath
===========================

Wisdom is never on the menu, you have to own the restaurant.

Post May 31 2010, 21:16 PM
CaoimhínSF
Craiceáilte

With one correction as shown here, buidheachas mòr le Dia is Scottish Gaelic (Gàidhlig), with the same meaning already given above.
I'm still a learner, so be sure to get input from others, especially for tattoos.