Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

Is tú mo ghrá - what does he mean?

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post May 16 2010, 19:11 PM
defectpro
Anseo again

A guy sent me a text "Is tú mo ghrá"

What does this mean? Google says it means "I love you" but can it mean something else? If a guy says this to a girl, can it ever be taken in a non-romantic way?

Thank you!
Last edited by defectpro on May 16 2010, 19:19 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Post May 16 2010, 19:13 PM
CaoimhínSF
Craiceáilte

"You are my love". Check out this thread I just responded to:
http://www.irishgaelictranslator.com/translation/topic99193.html#p715087
I'm still a learner, so be sure to get input from others, especially for tattoos.

Post May 16 2010, 19:16 PM
defectpro
Anseo again

Thank you. Would a guy who considered a girl just someone to flirt with, or just a good friend ever use this phrase?

Post May 16 2010, 19:16 PM
Gumbi
Craiceáilte

Is tú mo ghrá Meaning: You are my love (singular). Don't forget the accents!
Await confirmation always, please.

Post May 16 2010, 19:23 PM
defectpro
Anseo again

Thanks for the help. Can someone address my other question?

Post May 16 2010, 19:27 PM
mhwombat
wombat oifigiúil an fóraim

Normally it would be used romantically, or maybe for a child, but it could sometimes be used in a non-romantic way depending on the context. For example, if I was having a bad day, and someone showed up on my doorstep with some chocolate chip cookies, I might say something similar to that, in a sort of joking way.

I suspect that the person who sent you that is not a native Irish speaker. It's grammatically correct (apart from the missing accents), but a native speaker would probably say "Mo ghrá thú" or "Is tusa mo ghrá". With that in mind, we can't be sure what the person's intentions were. My guess would be that it was intended romantically, though.

Post May 16 2010, 19:30 PM
defectpro
Anseo again

Thank you. Yes, he is an American with Irish ancestry. How could I tell him in Gaelic that I really want to kiss him? Thanks!

Post May 16 2010, 19:41 PM
Breandán
Giostaire

defectpro wrote:How could I tell him in Gaelic that I really want to kiss him? Thanks!

Probably:

Ba bhreá liom póg a thabhairt duit. "I'd love to give you a kiss."

but wait for others to correct or confirm it ...

Post May 16 2010, 19:59 PM
CaoimhínSF
Craiceáilte

Ba bhreá liom póg a thabhairt duit. "I'd love to give you a kiss."

Seconded :top:
(the translation, not necessarily the sentiment) :mrgreen:
I'm still a learner, so be sure to get input from others, especially for tattoos.