Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

Is maith liom bainne

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post May 01 2010, 14:40 PM
nicarty
New Arrival

I'm wondering what's the best way to ask a question about sentences like Is maith liom bainne...

Let's say that I've told somebody what I like, but they haven't heard me properly; so, in English, I might say, 'I like milk', and that person might respond, 'You what milk?', or 'What about milk?'.
How would that conversation go in Irish? I know I could start by saying Is maith liom bainne, and that my response to their question could be Is maith liom é, but what is the Irish translation for those questions, like 'You what milk?'

I hope that makes sense!

Post May 01 2010, 15:10 PM
Benjamin
Craic Pusher

I would say:

Céard é an rud a thaitníonn leat?

Post May 01 2010, 16:16 PM
Errigal2466
Scéalaí Mór

It makes sense, nicarty. If 'twere "you like what?", 'twould be easier: I think "Is maith leat cad é an rud/caidé(or similar)"? might do for that.
But "You what milk?" is trickier (for me at least). Obviously you could say the likes of "Cad é (a dúirt tú) faoi bhainne"? ("What [did you say] about milk"?) - as you suggest, but I doubt you could say "Is cad é (or similar) leat bainne". Anyway, let's hope one of my superiors - with luck even a native speaker - will give you the real thing. :)

("Or similar" = various ways to say "what" in Irish. And now I'm thinking you're probably studying Irish, so you'll know that as well as I do :lach:

Post May 01 2010, 16:45 PM
mhwombat
wombat oifigiúil an fóraim

Maybe "Céard faoi báinne?" would work in this context.

Post May 01 2010, 19:17 PM
braoin
Scéalaí Mór

How about...

Bainne? Cad deir tú aríst?
or
Bainne? Abair leat aríst?
or
Bainne? Cad é sin aríst?
or
Bainne? Gabh mo leithscéal?

...choices... choices...
Three should agree on any translation.
Is ceart triúr a bheith sásta le haistriúchán ar bith a thabharfar.