Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

A Thaisce (lots of help on pronunciation please!)

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post April 30 2010, 12:50 PM
JerichoRaven
New Arrival

I am just learning that Gaelic doesnt sound like it is spelled. I have searched the web but i cant get an audio sample of how to say it. Any help on how to say "a thaisce"?

Thanks,

Jared

Post April 30 2010, 13:30 PM
mhwombat
wombat oifigiúil an fóraim

a thaisce
uh HASH-kuh
- or -
uh HASH-kee

Post April 30 2010, 14:16 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

Actually, it's spelled exactly as it sounds...it's just that, like other non-English languages, it doesn't use English phonics. French and Spanish don't "sound like they're spelled" either, when you follow that line of reasoning.

Redwolf

Post April 30 2010, 18:15 PM
Emphyrio
Gaeilgeoir

Actually English is one of the languages whose writing system least resembles how it is pronounced. Compare read (present tense), read (past tense), great, all containing ea but pronounced differently. English not being my native language and having learned a couple of other languages at school, I can guarantee you that English is one of the least consistent languages when it comes to matching the written with the spoken language. I find that Irish is actually quite consistent.

Post May 01 2010, 1:38 AM
Breandán
Giostaire

Well, that's because English spelling is about 900 years out of synch with its pronunciation...