Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

My Family, My life

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post April 14 2010, 14:22 PM
htaylor143
New Arrival

I've been wanting a tattoo since I had my son to symbolize my love for him and our family. I don't like to get meaningless things permanently inked on my body, so with my son almost being 1 1/2 now, I guess you can say I haven't been in a rush.
My grandfather is from Ireland, but unfortunately for my mother and I weve never gotten the opportunity to meet him. I decided that if I got any foreign language on me, it would at least have to be a language of relevance to my blood line.

So with all of that said, I would really like to get My Family, My life in Gaelic (meaning my son, husband, and any future kids we may have. Really everyone in my household). But everytime I search for this translation I get 15million different responses... Someone please help!!!! I'm suppose to be getting this done on SATURDAY! :/

Post April 14 2010, 14:40 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

htaylor143 wrote:I've been wanting a tattoo since I had my son to symbolize my love for him and our family. I don't like to get meaningless things permanently inked on my body, so with my son almost being 1 1/2 now, I guess you can say I haven't been in a rush.
My grandfather is from Ireland, but unfortunately for my mother and I weve never gotten the opportunity to meet him. I decided that if I got any foreign language on me, it would at least have to be a language of relevance to my blood line.

So with all of that said, I would really like to get My Family, My life in Gaelic (meaning my son, husband, and any future kids we may have. Really everyone in my household). But everytime I search for this translation I get 15million different responses... Someone please help!!!! I'm suppose to be getting this done on SATURDAY! :/

If you want to get a solid translation, your best bet is to ask in one place and keep your inquiries there (and this is a good place to do that). Languages are complex, and there can be many ways to say a think in ANY language, so if you're just doing searches you are going to get different responses, some of which may be incorrect or incomplete.

There are several Irish words that can correspond to the English "family." Unless you want to limit your definition of "family" to JUST your household (i.e., eliminating ancestors or other relatives who may not live with you), I'd use "muintir" for "family":

Mo mhuintir, mo chuid den tsaol: My family, my share/portion of life

"Cuid den tsaol" is a very Irish expression, and sounds more natural than just saying "mo shaol" (my life).

Wait for more input.

Redwolf

Post April 14 2010, 19:07 PM
htaylor143
New Arrival

Thank you so much for the translation and advice! I really do appreciate it! How did you learn the language?

Post April 14 2010, 21:02 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

htaylor143 wrote:Thank you so much for the translation and advice! I really do appreciate it! How did you learn the language?

Spent six years studying it from various books, computer programs, etc....and hanging out here.

Redwolf

Post April 14 2010, 21:05 PM
Gumbi
Craiceáilte

Speak it, listen to Raidío na Gaeltachta, watch TG4 learn some basic grammar and your on you way! :D Speak it often/Have conversations in it.

Then work on your writing skills/more complex grammar!

Edit: Also, stick around on these forums, I've learned a lot and I've only been here for a month. It's also great fun!
Await confirmation always, please.

Post April 16 2010, 15:20 PM
htaylor143
New Arrival

Thanks you guys for your help!