Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

Proper use of mo chuisle

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post April 11 2010, 22:31 PM
jtreegirl
New Arrival

I was wondering if "mo chuisle" is a proper endearment to give my son. I wasn't sure if it was for lovers or for those that are just near and dear to our hearts.

TIA!

Sarah
Last edited by jtreegirl on April 11 2010, 22:48 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Post April 11 2010, 22:34 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

jtreegirl wrote:I was wondering if "mo chuisle" is a proper endearment to give my son. I wasn't sure if it was for lovers or for those that are just near and dear to our hearts.

TIA!

Sarah

Sure, it's fine to use for family members as well as lovers. It simply means "my pulse," and is usually part of the longer phrase "cuisle mo chroí" (pulse of my heart).

If you're speaking TO your son, however, it would be "a chuisle." The form "mo chuisle'" would only be used if speaking ABOUT him.

Redwolf

Post April 11 2010, 22:49 PM
jtreegirl
New Arrival

Thanks for the quick reply and additional information. I really appreciate it :)

Post May 06 2010, 20:18 PM
jazzy1006
New Arrival

What if I want to use this phrase in plural? And how do I spell that?

Post May 06 2010, 20:26 PM
fio_smiles
Gaeilgeoir

"mo chuislí" I think, but wait for more.
I'm a happy beginner. So please, always, always, always wait for confirmation on my translations.

Post May 06 2010, 21:36 PM
jazzy1006
New Arrival

I was wondering - is there sth like pulses, I mean pulse is pulse and even if I want this tattoo refer to several people, 'mo chuisle' should be ok, right? :? :oops:
ps. forgive me my poor English :oops:

Post May 06 2010, 21:48 PM
kenailan
Craiceáilte

In the case of an endearment, for a lover, would "my heart-throb" be a reasonable translation into English of mo chuisle since reference to pulse or racing pulse in English has the connotation, more of desire then of endearment

Post May 06 2010, 22:00 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

kenailan wrote:In the case of an endearment, for a lover, would "my heart-throb" be a reasonable translation into English of mo chuisle since reference to pulse or racing pulse in English has the connotation, more of desire then of endearment

I guess, though I think of "heart throb" as being more your current flame..."current sexual interest" rather than someone you necessarily really love. It's got that kind of "casual" sound to it. I think of a chuisle as being somewhat deeper..."that which keeps my heart beating"...the kind of thing that could be applied to a current lover, a long-time lover/spouse, or even your children.

Redwolf