Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

Gra Geal Mo Chroi

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post March 28 2010, 2:54 AM
Caileigh
Anseo again

I was just given a wedding ring with the words Gra Geal Mo Chroi inscribed on the ring. And I know what part of it says, but could someone please translate it for me? Thank you.
A aislingeach álainn, dúisigh le mo thaobh,
Tá réaltaí 's drúchtíní ag fanacht anseo;
Tá callán an domhain ag codladh anois
Cealgtha le solas na gealaí, a chroí

Post March 28 2010, 3:25 AM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

Caileigh wrote:I was just given a wedding ring with the words Gra Geal Mo Chroi inscribed on the ring. And I know what part of it says, but could someone please translate it for me? Thank you.

I'm hoping it's properly spelled as "Grá Geal Mo Chroí." If so, it means "bright love of my heart."

Redwolf

Post March 28 2010, 3:38 AM
Caileigh
Anseo again

I'm hoping it's properly spelled as "Grá Geal Mo Chroí." If so, it means "bright love of my heart."

Redwolf[/quote]

It is. And thank you. My computer doesn't have the fonts to be able to do the accent marks.

Post March 28 2010, 3:42 AM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

Caileigh wrote:I'm hoping it's properly spelled as "Grá Geal Mo Chroí." If so, it means "bright love of my heart."

Redwolf

Caileigh wrote:It is. And thank you. My computer doesn't have the fonts to be able to do the accent marks.

Sure it does. You just have to know how to make them.

When you're here, you just have to click on the appropriate buttons above the posting form. All the accented vowels are there.

Irish words are misspelled without the accent marks, and can even change meaning, which is why we belabor the point.

Redwolf

Post March 28 2010, 3:45 AM
Caileigh
Anseo again

Sure it does. You just have to know how to make them.

When you're here, you just have to click on the appropriate buttons above the posting form. All the accented vowels are there.

Irish words are misspelled without the accent marks, and can even change meaning, which is why we belabor the point.

Redwolf[/quote]

I guess I need to play more with my computer to see if I can figure out how to do the marks. :) Thank you so much for telling me what the ring meant. I looked through some of the other posts and had a rough idea but wasn't quite certain.