Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

SG: English translationTa suil agam go bhfuil tu i mbarr na

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post March 17 2010, 18:57 PM
axomolly
New Arrival

Ta suil agam go bhfuil tu i mbarr na slainte!

and
Slàinte mhor a h-uile là a chi 's nach fhaic

what does this mean in english? thanks

Post March 17 2010, 19:02 PM
fatchops75
Gaeilgeoir

axomolly wrote:Ta suil agam go bhfuil tu i mbarr na slainte!

I hope that you're in the best of health!
I am only a beginner trying translations so I can improve, please wait for corrections.

www.aspireweddingmusic.com

Post March 17 2010, 19:32 PM
axomolly
New Arrival

Thank you. Do you know what this means?
Slàinte mhor a h-uile là a chi 's nach fhaic

Thanks again and have a great day!
Molly

Post March 17 2010, 20:23 PM
fatchops75
Gaeilgeoir

axomolly wrote:chi 's

Can't work this out - it is a certain dialect I think so someone more knowledgeable will say.
I am only a beginner trying translations so I can improve, please wait for corrections.

www.aspireweddingmusic.com

Post March 17 2010, 20:29 PM
Benjamin
Craic Pusher

The first one is in Irish, the second is Scottish Gaelic.

Post March 17 2010, 20:35 PM
Breandán
Giostaire

chi is probably the SG verb for "see". "Nach fhaic" would be like "nach bhfaca". "that is seen and that is unseen"

Slàinte mhor a h-uile là a chi 's nach fhaic "Great health for everyday ... ???"

Definitely wait for kevin on this one...

Post March 17 2010, 22:16 PM
CaoimhínSF
Craiceáilte

Yes, the second one is Scottish Gaelic (Gàidhlig), but it seems a bit strange (or I'm just not getting the whole point). Here's my take:

Slàinte mhòr a h-uile là a chì 's nach fhaic
Best of health every day that [you] [will] see and that [you] [don't see / will not see].

chì can mean "see" or "will see", depending on the context. I'm assuming that the word "you" is implicit, but it is not stated.

Just occurred to me that it might also be intended to say "Best of health every day that I see you or don't see you" (though the pronoun is not there for that, either).
I'm still a learner, so be sure to get input from others, especially for tattoos.

Post March 18 2010, 1:32 AM
axomolly
New Arrival

Thank you! I received this message and just didn't know.
Thanks for all your expertise!
Molly