Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

A Chuisle A Chroi

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post February 23 2010, 21:24 PM
GI76
New Arrival

I'm sure this has been asked numerous times, but could someone let me know if I have the right translation?

A Chuisle, A Chroi = My pulse, My heart. (am I even close??)

Post February 23 2010, 21:32 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

GI76 wrote:I'm sure this has been asked numerous times, but could someone let me know if I have the right translation?

A Chuisle, A Chroi = My pulse, My heart. (am I even close??)

Kind of depends on what you want to say.

The usual endearment is "Cuisle mo chroí" (pulse OF my heart). If you were speaking directly TO the person, however, you'd say "A chuisle mo chroí."

If you want to separate the words like you have above, you can, however. What you have is the vocative...what you would use if speaking to the person. If you just want to say "my pulse, my heart" without it being direct address, you'd say "mo chuisle, mo chroí."

Redwolf

Post February 23 2010, 21:43 PM
GI76
New Arrival

I want to use it to speak of someone. (My husband and kids)

Post February 23 2010, 22:12 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

GI76 wrote:I want to use it to speak of someone. (My husband and kids)

In that case, you'd use "mo." The form using "a" is only used when you're speaking to the person (or when you want it to read as though you were speaking to the person).

"Cuisle mo chroí" is the singular form, but if you're speaking of multiple people, you might want to go with "Cuislí mo chroí" (Pulses/beats of my heart)

Redwolf