Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

translation "my brother"

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post February 20 2010, 9:27 AM
tessheuvel
New Arrival

on this site I saw that my brother is spelled as "mo déartháir", but I used to think it was with an H, "mo dhéartháir'. Could somebody explain to me what is the right one?

And if I write this in gaelic, do I have to combine some consonants, such as DH and TH, or is this not necessary.

It is a dedication to my brother, so Id like to have the right spelling on my foot:)
Thanks!

Post February 20 2010, 9:36 AM
mhwombat
wombat oifigiúil an fóraim

It's:

mo dheartháir
my brother

(There's no mark over the e.) The base word is deartháir, but usually words after "mo" acquire an extra h. It's a grammar thing. If you've seen "mo déartháir" on this site, it's a mistake. Anyone can make a mistake; that's why we advise people to wait until at least three people are in agreement before using a tattoo for anything important.

Post February 20 2010, 20:14 PM
tessheuvel
New Arrival

great thanks!
ill wait patiently!

Post February 20 2010, 20:29 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

I can second "mo dheartháir"

Redwolf

Post February 20 2010, 22:15 PM
tessheuvel
New Arrival

thanks again.

how about the writing in gaelic? cause there are consonants for 'th' and 'dh'. is this needed, when following the gaelic transcription?

Post February 20 2010, 22:23 PM
MacFear
Laoch na nGael

The 'h' is represented in old irish font as a dot over the the letter previous, so the D in mo dheartháir would have a dot over the 'd' and the H would be omitted. However in modern Irish its perfectly fine to write it as previously said, it'd only be if you used one of those fonts chló gaelach would you use the dot instead of the h, and of course if its a tattoo for artistic reasons those old fonts look great

See the links on the left for fonts, theyll let you input the word and itll come out with the Irish font, make sure you leave out the 'h' though
Last edited by MacFear on February 20 2010, 22:27 PM, edited 4 times in total.

Post February 20 2010, 22:25 PM
tessheuvel
New Arrival

awesome! that works!