Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

Pronunciation?

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post February 19 2004, 22:07 PM
xl883c
New Arrival

I was wondering if anyone could gimme a rough phonetic spelling of the words "veritas" and "aequitas". I know what they mean, I just need to know how to say them for when people ask me what I'm going to put on my amrs means. Thanks

Post February 19 2004, 22:12 PM
Méabh
Scríbhneoir d'Éigean

they are both Latin words, not Irish
Is é Christian Stoehr mo chroí
Dáta pósadh: 16 Deireadh Fómhair 2010

Post February 19 2004, 22:27 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

They are indeed Latin. "Veritas" is pronounced "VAIR-ee-tahs" in ecclesiastical Latin, or "WAIR-ee-tahs" in classical Latin. "Aequitas" is pronounced "EH-kwee-tahs."

Redwolf

Post February 19 2004, 22:40 PM
Conor
Aistritheoir Cíocrach

Redwolf wrote:They are indeed Latin. "Veritas" is pronounced "VAIR-ee-tahs" in ecclesiastical Latin, or "WAIR-ee-tahs" in classical Latin. "Aequitas" is pronounced "EH-kwee-tahs."

Redwolf

Go go Go, Audrey!!! :ja:

Post February 19 2004, 23:36 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

Conor wrote:
Redwolf wrote:They are indeed Latin. "Veritas" is pronounced "VAIR-ee-tahs" in ecclesiastical Latin, or "WAIR-ee-tahs" in classical Latin. "Aequitas" is pronounced "EH-kwee-tahs."

Redwolf

Go go Go, Audrey!!! :ja:

Ah well, those are easy. I used to sing in Latin at least once a week ;)

Redwolf

Post February 20 2004, 1:03 AM
oisin718
Andúileach IGTF

The classical pronunciation of "aequitas," if you want it, was "EYE-kwee-tahs."

This is another incident of someone watching "Boondock Saints" and assuming that because the characters were Irish, the words must be Irish. I must see that movie for myself, one of these days.

If you're interested, the Irish translations of those words is

Fírinne (FEE-run-yuh) and Cóir (core)

Post February 20 2004, 19:21 PM
xl883c
New Arrival

Sorry for the assumption, but thanks for the help. If you haven't seen the Boondock Saints yet, all I have to say is...WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU? It's a great movie. I was surprised to learn that it never went to the theaters. Thanks again for the help.

Post February 20 2004, 19:31 PM
Méabh
Scríbhneoir d'Éigean

I couldn't find a copy at my movie rental place :(

But then again I'm living in Germany, the Land Without Blockbuster :lach:
Is é Christian Stoehr mo chroí
Dáta pósadh: 16 Deireadh Fómhair 2010

Post February 20 2004, 19:32 PM
oisin718
Andúileach IGTF

I never heard of it until a month or so ago, and I'm just too lazy to get down to World Of Video to look for it.