Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

análaigh

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Author Message
Post December 27 2009, 21:02 PM
liscannor
New Arrival
 
Posts: 3
Can análaigh be used as a stand alone sentence/command. As when reminding someone (or oneself) to 'breathe'? Is it even the correct verb in this case?

 
Post December 27 2009, 21:06 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise
 
Posts: 57599
liscannor wrote:Can análaigh be used as a stand alone sentence/command. As when reminding someone (or oneself) to 'breathe'? Is it even the correct verb in this case?


Yes. It's an imperative verb form, so it can stand alone as a command.

Redwolf

Post December 28 2009, 20:35 PM
liscannor
New Arrival
 
Posts: 3
Thank you, Redwolf! Also, I forgot another very important question: What is the correct pronunciation for análaigh?

Post December 29 2009, 1:22 AM
Breandán
Giostaire
 
Posts: 4409
liscannor wrote:Thank you, Redwolf! Also, I forgot another very important question: What is the correct pronunciation for análaigh?


análaigh
a-NAWL-ee
/əNɑ:Li:/
http://www.awyr.com/ayrish/saewndfaylz/analaigh.mp3

Post December 29 2009, 15:50 PM
liscannor
New Arrival
 
Posts: 3
Ah - thanks, Breandán. I had it almost right - with an AH instead of AW in the middle. Happy New Year to you!

Post January 02 2010, 8:24 AM
Refreshe
Gaeilgeoir
 
Posts: 418
How would you add 'Just' to breathe? -> 'Just breathe' as in: don't panic, don't lose control, just breathe. Keeping it in the command form - a command to one's self.
ALWAYS wait for confirmation!
I just a very new beginner

'Life isn't about how to survive the storm,
But
"How to dance in the rain.."

Post January 02 2010, 9:28 AM
Breandán
Giostaire
 
Posts: 4409
Refreshe wrote:How would you add 'Just' to breathe? -> 'Just breathe' as in: don't panic, don't lose control, just breathe. Keeping it in the command form - a command to one's self.


That's an interesting question. My first thought is something like:

Análaigh, sin uile. "Breathe, that's all"

Better to wait for some native input...

Post January 03 2010, 6:30 AM
Refreshe
Gaeilgeoir
 
Posts: 418
*Bump*
I'm hoping that this shouldn't have been made a new request as it is an extension on the original question. I really am curious.


Breandán wrote:
Refreshe wrote:How would you add 'Just' to breathe? -> 'Just breathe' as in: don't panic, don't lose control, just breathe. Keeping it in the command form - a command to one's self.


That's an interesting question. My first thought is something like:

Análaigh, sin uile. "Breathe, that's all"

Better to wait for some native input...
ALWAYS wait for confirmation!
I just a very new beginner

'Life isn't about how to survive the storm,
But
"How to dance in the rain.."

Post January 03 2010, 18:45 PM
scoobytyson
Craiceáilte
 
Posts: 6550
I've never heard of sin uile as a phrase but it may well be correct.

I'd say Análaigh, sin an méid
The money-grabbing wankers who control this site can ban me too. Talk about recruiting trolls! I've spent enough time putting money in their pockets.

Post January 03 2010, 20:06 PM
Teifeach
Craiceáilte
 
Posts: 7359
yeah i couldnt see what was wrong with it although it didnt sound right , sin an méid is what i,d use


Next

Who is online

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot]