Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

Are these standard?

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post December 08 2009, 6:17 AM
Tenebre
Scéalaí Mór

I found out how to say "I'm going to..."

Tá Máirtín ag goil ag foghlaim Spáinnis. (Do people use that in the standard?)

Also, I don't understand, why it says 'céard atá sé ag goil a fhoghlaim' and not 'céard atá sé ag goil ag foghlaim'.

Annoying :< I found something in here which I use to think was correct but I was told by another person that it was wrong :rolleyes: I knew it had to be a dialect thing :<
Ar scáth a chéile a mhairimid
With my Translations, always wait for confirmation :idea:
Dá fhaid é an lá, tagann an oíche

Post December 08 2009, 6:43 AM
ulster and proud
Laoch na nGael

:D
Last edited by ulster and proud on July 10 2010, 14:25 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Post December 08 2009, 10:07 AM
scoobytyson
Craiceáilte

I reckon ag goil is actually ag dul but just written as pronounced in some dialects (Conamara?)
The money-grabbing wankers who control this site can ban me too. Talk about recruiting trolls! I've spent enough time putting money in their pockets.

Post December 08 2009, 10:15 AM
Craig11
Scéalaí Mór

ag dul is standard

by "I'm going to" you mean "I intend to"
you can say
Tá Máirtín chun foghlaim Spáinnis
(lit. Martin is towards learning Spainish)
Is foghlaimeoir mé
Wait for 3 confirmations

Post December 08 2009, 10:22 AM
scoobytyson
Craiceáilte

I'd say:

Tá Máirtín ag dul ag foghlaim Spáinnise. (Genitive after verbal noun)

Using chun:

Tá Máirtín chun Spáinnis a fhoghlaim.
The money-grabbing wankers who control this site can ban me too. Talk about recruiting trolls! I've spent enough time putting money in their pockets.

Post December 08 2009, 10:24 AM
Craig11
Scéalaí Mór

scoobytyson wrote:
Tá Máirtín chun Spáinnis a fhoghlaim.

Yeah this is correct, just bout to come back and fix it but you bet me to it
Is foghlaimeoir mé
Wait for 3 confirmations

Post December 08 2009, 13:26 PM
Pwyll2
Giostaire

I second Scooby.

I'd say, in Ulster Irish : Tá Máirtín ag gabháil a (dh') fhoghlaim Spáinnise.
Is fearr Gaeilg chliste ná Gaeilg bhriste

Learn the sounds of Irish here: http://loig.cheveau.ifrance.com/irish/i ... ounds.html & http://annexedicoirlfr.ifrance.com/

Post December 08 2009, 13:47 PM
Tenebre
Scéalaí Mór

Ah yes.

But these are from Learning Irish by Mícheál Ó Siadhail, which is the Cois Fharraige dialect (the one my family speaks)

So, I was wondering whether those above were used in the standard.

Just a question? How different is the standard to Ulster, Munster, Connacht. I remember reading somewhere that the standard was based on Connacht Irish, not sure how true that is.
Ar scáth a chéile a mhairimid
With my Translations, always wait for confirmation :idea:
Dá fhaid é an lá, tagann an oíche

Post December 08 2009, 14:51 PM
scoobytyson
Craiceáilte

Tenebre wrote:Ah yes.

But these are from Learning Irish by Mícheál Ó Siadhail, which is the Cois Fharraige dialect (the one my family speaks)

So, I was wondering whether those above were used in the standard.

Just a question? How different is the standard to Ulster, Munster, Connacht. I remember reading somewhere that the standard was based on Connacht Irish, not sure how true that is.

I'll leave this contentious topic to Pwyll and others.
Last edited by scoobytyson on December 08 2009, 20:42 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Post December 08 2009, 20:00 PM
Pwyll2
Giostaire

Let's say Standard Irish has been mainly made with Connachta Irish, but there are some Munster features, and very few Ulster ones. And some historical forms that don't exist anywhere now.
Is fearr Gaeilg chliste ná Gaeilg bhriste

Learn the sounds of Irish here: http://loig.cheveau.ifrance.com/irish/i ... ounds.html & http://annexedicoirlfr.ifrance.com/

Next