Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

Can you translate this please...

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post November 17 2009, 21:01 PM
ewolod
New Arrival

Féadfaidh an bhfianaise do bhfianaise aoibh gháire suas ar fud an domhain

Someone made a comment on a picture in Irish... and I have no idea what it means... Please help!!! Thanks! You are wonderful!

Post November 17 2009, 21:24 PM
Antóin
Giostaire

Very mixed up:

The testimony will be able your testimony a smile up all over the world. ????

Is somebody pulling your/our leg?
Warning: Reasonable command of Irish - but I still make basic errors.

Post November 17 2009, 21:29 PM
ewolod
New Arrival

Is that really what it translates to... huh... I think someone is pulling my leg... thank you so much for your help... I will go call them out on their crappy Irish sentance! :D

Post November 17 2009, 21:56 PM
Antóin
Giostaire

ewolod wrote:Is that really what it translates to... huh... I think someone is pulling my leg... thank you so much for your help... I will go call them out on their crappy Irish sentance! :D

Wait around. Maybe someone else can make some sense out of it.

Post November 18 2009, 0:54 AM
mhwombat
wombat oifigiúil an fóraim

Assuming this was a "dictionary job" done by someone who doesn't know any Irish, or a Google translation, sometimes we can figure it out by taking each word one at a time and guessing what word they might have looked up to get that word:

Féadfaidh = will be able, may
an = the
bhfianaise = testimony, but this is also what Google comes up with for "the light" (prehaps a confusion with "bring to light"?)
do = to, for
bhfianaise = testimony, "the light"
aoibh = smile
gháire = laughter
suas = up
ar fud an domhain = around the world

It sounds like they were trying to say something nice.

Post November 18 2009, 1:01 AM
mhwombat
wombat oifigiúil an fóraim

I plugged "The light of your smile could light up the world." and got
"D'fhéadfaí an bhfianaise do aoibh gháire bhfianaise suas ar fud an domhain."

...which is pretty darn close to the original. I'm calling this a "win". Another mystery solved by Detective Wombat of the yard. Not The Yard, just the yard. That one over there by the barn.

Post November 18 2009, 1:40 AM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

mhwombat wrote:I plugged "The light of your smile could light up the world." and got
"D'fhéadfaí an bhfianaise do aoibh gháire bhfianaise suas ar fud an domhain."

...which is pretty darn close to the original. I'm calling this a "win". Another mystery solved by Detective Wombat of the yard. Not The Yard, just the yard. That one over there by the barn.

You know...someone asked us for this translation the other day. What do you want to bet they got tired of waiting a day or two for an accurate translation and decided to use Google gibberish instead?

Sometimes the idiocy of people drives me to despair!

Redwolf

Post November 22 2009, 2:39 AM
fiairefeadha
Craiceáilte

To be correct Féadfaí an fhianaise..

Post November 22 2009, 7:53 AM
Antóin
Giostaire

fiairefeadha wrote:To be correct Féadfaí an fhianaise..

D'fhéadfaí

Post November 22 2009, 8:20 AM
iora_rua
Craiceáilte

Imagine a world where everyone uses google for all translations. Talk about communication breakdown.
Note that I am only a learner of Irish. Wait for confirmations!
An chéad sagart, ba é sin an chéad bithiúnach a bhuail leis an gcéad amadán. Voltaire