Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

When do I use Cuid?

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post November 12 2009, 4:55 AM
Tenebre
Scéalaí Mór

pennyrat wrote:FWIW, i had this in my notes from Richie some time back if you're interested..

"There's a simple trick I figured out to know if you need "cuid" or not. If you can say, in English, "I have a X" then in Irish you can say "mo X". "I have a car," for example, is fine, so "mo charr" is too. But you can't say "I have a clothes" or "I have a hair" (well you can but it doesn't mean the same thing as "I have hair") so you have to say "mo chuid éadaigh" and "mo chuid gruaige."

Ooo, that works too. Go raibh maith ad

Em...how does Cuid work in relation to time? Like, past, future? Can i use cuid with past and future?
Ar scáth a chéile a mhairimid
With my Translations, always wait for confirmation :idea:
Dá fhaid é an lá, tagann an oíche

Post November 12 2009, 11:08 AM
Antóin
Giostaire

Tenebre wrote:Em...how does Cuid work in relation to time? Like, past, future? Can i use cuid with past and future?

Don't think so.

GRMA Redwolf and pennyrat (nice conjunction of names) I've been speaking Irish for.....ahhm....decades and I still don't have basic explanations like that. I've filed them away for reference.
Warning: Reasonable command of Irish - but I still make basic errors.

Post November 12 2009, 14:39 PM
aontroim
Gaeilgeoir

mhwombat wrote:Sniff... DT would have enjoyed this thread. Image

Haven't been on for a while what happened to DT :(

Post November 12 2009, 14:49 PM
angel.D
Gaeilgeoir

aontroim wrote:
mhwombat wrote:Sniff... DT would have enjoyed this thread. Image

Haven't been on for a while what happened to DT :(

DT is fine and well, he just wont be around here anymore ;(
Please always wait for others to correct/confirm my translations.

Post November 12 2009, 14:52 PM
aontroim
Gaeilgeoir

Good that he is well, bad that he won't be around anymore, enjoyed his banter and if he was kicked of for having a bit of craic then that is sad. Is it a secret the reason he no longer is on here??

Post November 12 2009, 14:57 PM
angel.D
Gaeilgeoir

aontroim wrote:Good that he is well, bad that he won't be around anymore, enjoyed his banter and if he was kicked of for having a bit of craic then that is sad. Is it a secret the reason he no longer is on here??

Nah, he just needed a break :)
Please always wait for others to correct/confirm my translations.

Post November 12 2009, 20:39 PM
rossai
Giostaire

cuid is for possession not existing in English
Ba mhaith liom lámh chúnta a thabhairt d'éinne atá ag foghlaim agus ba mhaith liom déanamh amhlaidh mé fhéin.

Post November 12 2009, 23:04 PM
wdsci
Aistritheoir Cíocrach

aontroim wrote:Good that he is well, bad that he won't be around anymore, enjoyed his banter and if he was kicked of for having a bit of craic then that is sad. Is it a secret the reason he no longer is on here??

As far as I know, he left voluntarily, he wasn't forced to go.

:) David
The following is a signature:
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way
Always wait for confirmation on my translations!
Looking to preview Celtic fonts?

http://www.ellipsix.net/textwriter/render.html

Previous