Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

Tattoo translation

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post October 20 2009, 10:09 AM
markoconnell1965
New Arrival

Hi can anyone help me by translating the following - a Gaelic farewell into Gaelic for me.
"May the road rise to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
May the rain fall softly upon your fields until we meet again,
And may God hold you in the hollow of his hand.

Post October 20 2009, 12:36 PM
iora_rua
Craiceáilte

It's in the "Freq translation" section (link to the left).
Note that I am only a learner of Irish. Wait for confirmations!
An chéad sagart, ba é sin an chéad bithiúnach a bhuail leis an gcéad amadán. Voltaire

Post October 21 2009, 5:05 AM
markoconnell1965
New Arrival

thank for that, however there still seems to be some variations to the same question. if anyone can confirm which is correct it would be greatly appreciated as being a tattoo I really would like to get it right.
Cheers,
Mark

Post October 21 2009, 9:07 AM
Seán B.
Gaeilgeoir

This is what is in the FAQ:
May the road rise to meet you: Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
May the wind be always at your back: Go raibh cóir na gaoithe i gcónaí leat
May the sun shine warm upon your face: Go dtaitní an ghrian go bog bláth ar do chlár éadain (clár éadain being forehead; if you want to use 'face', replace it with d'aghaidh)
May the rain fall soft upon your fields: Go dtite an bháisteach go bog mín ar do ghoirt
And until we meet again: Agus go gcasfar le chéile sinn arís
May God hold you in the palm of his hand: Go gcoinní Dia i mbois a láimhe thú
My Ulster blood is my most priceless heritage (James Buchanan, 15th President of The United States)

Post March 26 2010, 11:57 AM
Rufus23
New Arrival

Hi Everyone!
I'm from Italy and I really love Ireland and Irish people . I'm a student and I've appreciated this topic with this particular Irish blessing, but now I'd like to know if someone can write this blessing using the old gaelic alphabet, or can tell me where find it written in gaelic on the internet.
I'm writing a work on Ireland and I think it would be great to insert this Irish blessing in the gaelic alphabet in my work.
Thx a lot for your suggestions and pardon me for my bad english language!
Have a nice day...
:wink:

Rufus23

Post March 26 2010, 12:01 PM
Breandán
Giostaire

Try this site:

http://www.ellipsix.net/textwriter/render.jsp

Copy Seán B.'s translation line by line into the text box there. Select Bunchló GC or Bunchló Ársa GC or experiment with other fonts and sizes.

Post March 26 2010, 14:32 PM
Rufus23
New Arrival

THANKS A LOT!
I visited the linked site and I've just wrote the gaelic version in my work...
:D
Bye!

Rufus23

Post March 27 2011, 23:10 PM
fidelcastro
New Arrival