Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

translation for "Family before everything always"

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post October 18 2009, 12:48 PM
henwot
New Arrival

hello y'all!

a friend of mine asked me to help her with the translation of "family before everything always" and i'd like to
have a second (or third) opinion since both of us aren't really familiar with gaelic..

so this is what we've come up with "clann roimh gach rud i gcónaí" -- what do you say? is it okay to say that?
would you say it differently? is there a better way to put it?

thx in advance! we really need and appreciate your helping us out!!

:D THANX!
henwot

Post October 18 2009, 15:55 PM
iora_rua
Craiceáilte

clann = traditionally this means 'children' not 'family'.
roimh = before in the sense 'before in time' or 'before' in the sense of space. I think I'd go with 'thar' which means 'above', like in 'valuing something above everything else'.
I would say (but this is a personal opinion which may or may not be challenged by others):

muintir thar gach ní i gcónaí
Note that I am only a learner of Irish. Wait for confirmations!
An chéad sagart, ba é sin an chéad bithiúnach a bhuail leis an gcéad amadán. Voltaire

Post October 18 2009, 16:46 PM
pennyrat
Scéalaí Mór

I would agree with iora. However, the "always" seems a bit unnecessary since when will there be times when you don't put family above all, and then sometimes you do?
Using iora's, i might add one more thing..
Muintir thar gach uile ní
Please wait for more comments..

Post October 21 2009, 12:06 PM
henwot
New Arrival

thanks a lot @iora_rua and @pennyrat!! your posts were very helpful *bow*

but I'm still waiting for some more feedback, so please everyone else keep posting :wink: