Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

"Dia duit!" ("May God be with you)

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post October 02 2009, 19:54 PM
mccaffry
New Arrival

As a child I remember a priest greeting my Father with "Dia duit" and he replied with the same blessing, plus "and Saint Patrick." Can anyone help me please with the Gaelic for "and St. Patrick"
-- October 4 marks the 100 anniversary of his birth and I want to suggest this blessing as a toast by his descendants around the world. Thanks! Mac

Post October 02 2009, 20:01 PM
Tiarnan2
Andúileach IGTF

Dia duit
Dia's Muire duit (God and Mary...
Dia's Muire duit agus Pádraig
Where i came for these were progressive...you could start with the second one and the response would be #3
=================

Nuair a shuíonn an coileach péacoige ar a thóin, níl ann ach turcach

Chief Buffalo Breath
===========================

Wisdom is never on the menu, you have to own the restaurant.

Post October 02 2009, 20:01 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

mccaffry wrote:As a child I remember a priest greeting my Father with "Dia duit" and he replied with the same blessing, plus "and Saint Patrick." Can anyone help me please with the Gaelic for "and St. Patrick"
-- October 4 marks the 100 anniversary of his birth and I want to suggest this blessing as a toast by his descendants around the world. Thanks! Mac

While "Dia duit" technically means "God to you," it really is just a way of saying "hello." It's not a toast, or a special blessing. The response is "Dia is Muire duit" (God and Mary to you), or, if you want to get fancy, "Dia is Muire is Pádraig duit" (God and Mary and Patrick to you).

If you want to say "May God be with you," you'd say "Go raibh Dia leat."

Redwolf

Post October 02 2009, 20:02 PM
DoireTrasna
Aistritheoir Cíocrach

and before ye knew it ye were in the pub reciting the littany of the saints :lach:

Post October 02 2009, 23:29 PM
kenailan
Craiceáilte

And hopefully you don't forget Linus, Cletus, Clement, Sixtus and Chrysogonus.

Post October 03 2009, 10:40 AM
Pwyll2
Giostaire

Actually it's not really "God to you" but a shortened form of "Go mbeannaí Dia duit", which means "may God greet you" (literally "may God bless for you"), and in most areas they've removed the "go mbeannaí".
Is fearr Gaeilg chliste ná Gaeilg bhriste

Learn the sounds of Irish here: http://loig.cheveau.ifrance.com/irish/i ... ounds.html & http://annexedicoirlfr.ifrance.com/

Post April 11 2011, 18:09 PM
thankskate
New Arrival

My recollection from class is that the order in which one adds saints is:

God/Dia
Mary/Muire
Patrick/Paraig
Bridget/Brid
Colum Cille/Colum Cille

My teacher claimed that in Kerry one might be confronted with up to 15 saints. Does anyone have a full list? If anyone every says to me, "Dia is Muire duit agus Paraig agus Brid agus Colum Cille," I shall be stumped on the reply.
Last edited by thankskate on April 11 2011, 18:10 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Post April 11 2011, 20:07 PM
rossai
Giostaire

in Kerry Bréanainn/ Breandán comes before Pádraig. In Cléir Cíarán.
Ba mhaith liom lámh chúnta a thabhairt d'éinne atá ag foghlaim agus ba mhaith liom déanamh amhlaidh mé fhéin.

Post April 11 2011, 21:48 PM
kokoshneta
Giostaire

There is no set order for the saints that goes for all locations: saints that are considered ‘local’ are often added before other saints. In places like Glencolmcille, for example, the order is God -> Mary -> Colmcille -> Patrick -> anyone else you can think of.
Not a native speaker. If in doubt, await native confirmation.

Post April 11 2011, 21:50 PM
Saoirse2009
Laoch na nGael

No space for Naomh Saoirse.... :/

Next