Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

Which is correct please

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post August 31 2009, 4:01 AM
Rivank
Anseo again

I have two different translations for this and I was hoping to get opinions on which is correct. Any help is extremely appreciated. We are in the process of adopting 3 nephews who's parents were not, well should we say capable of being parents....We are looking to have something really special done with this saying to welcome the kids into our family. We have 3 children of our own and want them all to know that they are all special to us. Thank you so much in advance.

Any man can be a Father, It takes someone special to be a daddy.

1st translation:
Is féidir aon fear a athair, Bíonn sé duine ar leith a bheith ina daidí.

2nd translation:
Is féidir le fear ar bith a bheith ina Athair, Bíonn sé duine ar leith a bheith ina daidí.

Post August 31 2009, 4:07 AM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

Rivank wrote:I have two different translations for this and I was hoping to get opinions on which is correct. Any help is extremely appreciated. We are in the process of adopting 3 nephews who's parents were not, well should we say capable of being parents....We are looking to have something really special done with this saying to welcome the kids into our family. We have 3 children of our own and want them all to know that they are all special to us. Thank you so much in advance.

1st translation:

2nd translation:
Is féidir le fear ar bith a bheith ina Athair, Bíonn sé duine ar leith a bheith ina daidí.

I'm afraid that neither is correct.

This is more of a sentence than I can tackle, but I can tell you for certain that both the ones you have been given are completely wrong (where in heaven's name did you get them?). Weekends are slow here, but give us a few days and we should be able to work something out for you.

Redwolf

Post August 31 2009, 7:18 AM
Rivank
Anseo again

Thanks Redwolf...glad I had sense enough to check here before we made any concrete decisions!

Post August 31 2009, 11:46 AM
Caffler
Aistritheoir Cíocrach

here's a suggestion

is féidir le fear ar bith athair a dhéanamh de féin, is áirithe an fear a dhéanfadh daidí de féin

definitely wait on more input though
Get the Ræliksen CD here
éist leis an gceol

tá sult na saoirse i gcló na gcrann
is grá don tsúil a fiaradh,
tá dúil sa rud tá casta cam
is gráin don bhog is don díreach.

Post August 31 2009, 11:59 AM
Teifeach
Craiceáilte

Rivank wrote:I have two different translations for this and I was hoping to get opinions on which is correct. Any help is extremely appreciated. We are in the process of adopting 3 nephews who's parents were not, well should we say capable of being parents....We are looking to have something really special done with this saying to welcome the kids into our family. We have 3 children of our own and want them all to know that they are all special to us. Thank you so much in advance.

1st translation:

2nd translation:

is féidir le fear ar bith bheith ina athair, ach caithfidh tú bheith an speisialta bheith ina daidí , just my shot at it :D

Post August 31 2009, 23:51 PM
Rivank
Anseo again

Teifeach wrote:
Rivank wrote:I have two different translations for this and I was hoping to get opinions on which is correct. Any man can be a Father, It takes someone special to be a daddy.

1st translation:

2nd translation:

is féidir le fear ar bith bheith ina athair, ach caithfidh tú bheith an speisialta bheith ina daidí , just my shot at it :D

Teifeach, it seems to be close from what I can tell, but mind you I have next to no knowledge of the Irish Gaelic language. Thanks for the effort everyone. I will continue to wait to hear if any of these is accurate

Post September 05 2009, 16:52 PM
Rivank
Anseo again

Does anybody else have an opiniion on these translations? I thank you all for you help.

Post September 09 2009, 18:16 PM
Rivank
Anseo again

How's it going everybody?
I got a new suggestion on this translation and would like to run it past everyone for their 2 cents worth.

D'fhéadfadh fear ar bith a bheith ina athair ach bíonn buanna faoi leith ag
Daidí

This one came via a friend of a friend of a friend of a........

Any thoughts on the accuracy of this attempt?

Post September 25 2009, 16:35 PM
Rivank
Anseo again

^bump^

Post September 25 2009, 17:04 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

Rivank wrote:How's it going everybody?
I got a new suggestion on this translation and would like to run it past everyone for their 2 cents worth.

D'fhéadfadh fear ar bith a bheith ina athair ach bíonn buanna faoi leith ag
Daidí

This one came via a friend of a friend of a friend of a........

Any thoughts on the accuracy of this attempt?

I don't think I'd use the conditional mode here. Doesn't necessarily mean it's wrong...I'm just more familiar with "is féidir le." You'll want to get input from some of the more experienced speakers on that.

Redwolf

Next