Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

interview

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post August 19 2009, 15:10 PM
muff.2008
New Arrival

Heya i have interview coming up where they wil be asking an irish questions. I know its alot to ask but if anyone could be of any help to me translating some or all of this I would be very grateful!!!

"Irish is a language that people are showing a lot less interest in. It is very disappointing to see this happening. I am great lover of the language. I have been to the gealteacht every year since I was in primary school. It is a subject that I love teaching. I think that we should be getting the children interested in learning Irish. To do this we need to make the learning enjoyable for them. This can easily be done through different card games, board games. Little competitions eg. races to see who can get the most Irish words in a certain topic. Things like these get the pupils motivated and interested in learning the language. We should also be using Irish as part of our day, giving commands etc. in Irish. Sometimes teachers place less emphasis on Irish as they feel there is more important things to focus on in the day. This maybe because it is a second language for the children or even third in a lot of cases and they may feel its harder to teach. Also the teacher themselves may not feel confident speaking Irish. I think that it is wrong to think this way, we should place just as much focus on the language as it is part of our heritage and we shouldn’t be forgetting about it.
On one teaching practice that I did in a disadvantaged school I used a lot of pair work and different games and completions to teach the children the words and phrases they needed to know about sport. The children really loved it and would come in every morning begging me to do Irish with them. They tried their best to learn the words at the start of each lesson so that they would be able to beat their partner at the different games I had set up for them."

Post August 19 2009, 15:20 PM
mhwombat
wombat oifigiúil an fóraim

Since the interview will presumably be oral and not written, I suggest you write very simple "baby" sentences. They'll be much easier to memorise and inject into your conversation naturally. That's how I prepare for things like this. Think about it this way: if you were doing the interview in English, what are the chances that you would speak using the kind of complex sentences and paragraphs that you've used above? Think about how you would really speak. It would be something more like:

There's less interest in the language now... I'm not happy about that... I love the language... I go to the Gaeltacht every year... uh, since I was in primary school...

You get the idea. Once you have the baby sentences written, take a stab at translating them yourself, and post your attempt here. You can leave blanks for words you don't know. That will give us an idea how much Irish you have (and which dialect), and we'll give you sentences that you'll feel more comfortable with. Then, when you go into the interview, you'll feel a lot more confident because you'll be showing your own Irish to its best advantage. You'll be able to mix and combine (with words or phrases like agus, nó, ach, mar sin de, dá bhrí sin...) those mini-sentences on the fly

Post August 19 2009, 15:40 PM
Benjamin
Craic Pusher

Here is an attempt:

Is teanga í an Ghaeilge a bhfuil daoine ag spreagadh níos lú suime atá inti. Tá sé seo brónach a fheiceáil. Is breá liom an teanga. Bhíodh mé sa nGaeltacht chuile bhliain ó bhí mé sa mbunscoil. Is ábhar é a bhfuil grá agam bheith ag múineadh. Tá mé ag ceapadh go mba cheart dhúinn an suim a thabhairt do na páistí leis an teanga a fhoghlaim. Le seo a dhéanamh caithfidh muid an Ghaeilge a chur chun cinn le spraoi. Tarlóidh sé seo go héasca le cluifí cartaí, cluifí. Comórtais beaga mar shampla: rásaí a fheiceáil cé atá in ann níos mó Ghaeilge a fháil i rith an lae, ordú a thabhairt do dhuine srl, i nGaeilge. Scaití ní cheapann na múinteoirí go bhfuil an Ghaeilge tábhachtach mar bíonn siad ag aireachtáil go mbíonn níos mó rudaí tábhachtacha ann i rith an lae. Agus níl Gaeilge mhaith ag na múinteoirí féin. Cheapfainn go bhfuil sé mícheart bheith ag smaoineamh mar seo, ba cheart dhúinn níos mó suim a bheith againn sa teanga mar is í an Ghaeilge ár ndúchais agus ní féidir linn dearmad a dhéanamh air.

Bhíodh obair grúpa ann i gcónaí ag déanamh cluifí eile agus comórtais leis na páistí focla agus frásaí nua a bhí orthu bheith a fhios acab faoi cúrsaí spórt. Ba bhreá le na páistí agus is minic a bhí na páistí ag teacht isteach ag cur ceist orm an féidir liom an Ghaeilge a labhairt leo. Rinne siad a ndícheall le focla nua a fhoghlaim i dtosach i chuile cheacht mar sin beidh siad in ann níos fearr a dhéanamh sna cluifí éagsúla lena gcairde a rinne mé dhóibh.

Post August 19 2009, 16:04 PM
muff.2008
New Arrival

Thats a brilliant help thanx a million!!!
Heres my attempt at it! (i know spellings a bit messy but im not to worried about that as I will be saying it all.)

Bionn daoine ag leiriu nios liu sium sa teanga. Tá sé seo brónach a fheiceáil. Is brea liom an teanga. Chuaigh me go dti an ghealteacht gach bliain o a bhi me I bunscoil. Is aoibhinn liom an abhar a muineadh freisin
I think that we should be getting the children interested in learning Irish.
Chun sin a dheanamh bionn ga againn an fhoghlaim a dheanamh nios taitneamhach daoibh (To do this we need to make the learning enjoyable for them.)
I ndairire ta se an easca e a dheanamh mar shampla tri cluichi beaga, dramiocht agus comortas beaga mar shampla ras chun an mhead focal gaeilge a sriobh sios I noimead amhain. Things like these get the pupils motivated and interested in learning the language.
Uaireanta cuireann muinteoiri nios liu beim ar an gaeilge. Bfheidir ceapann said go bhfuil rud nios tabhactach chun a dheanamh gach la. No bfheidir mar ta gaeilge an dara no an triu teanga a bhfuil ag na paisti agus ceapann said go bhfuil geailge ro deacracht chun fhoghlaim. No bhfeidir nil na muinteori muinineach lena gaeilge fein. Ach I mo thuairim ta seo micheart ta ga again beim a chuir ar gaeilge mar bionn daoine ag deanamh dearmad ar an teanga agus I ndairire is teanga ar tire e. agus ta se an tabhactach beim a chur ar nuair a bionn na paisti I bunscoil.
Ar cleactadh muinteoireacht amhain. Bhi me I scoil mibhuntaisteach agus bain me usaid as obair bheirte, cluichi agus comórtas chun gaeilge a muineadh. Is aobhinn lena paisti e agus gach maidin bionn said ag cur ceist orm. “ an bhfuil cead agam gaeilge a dheanamh?” Rinne siad a ndícheall le focla nua a fhoghlaim i dtosach i chuile cheacht mar sin beidh siad in ann níos fearr a dhéanamh sna cluifí éagsúla lena gcairde a rinne mé dhóibh.
Is aoibhinn liom bheith ag deanamh aiseanna diffriul coisiul le cluichi carta, cluichi boird agus rud mar seo. Taim abailta cluichi mar seo a dheanamh ar an riomhaire le pictiuri diffriula a fuair me ar an idirlion."

if theres grammor mistakes...or if some of it doesnt make any sense :lol: could you please help fix it up!! thanks!!