Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

"Handsome One"

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post June 23 2009, 22:52 PM
cavanok
New Arrival

Can anyone translate?

Post June 23 2009, 23:07 PM
Benjamin
Craic Pusher

Duine galánta

Post June 23 2009, 23:07 PM
CaoimhínSF
Craiceáilte

It is much easier in Irish with a noun, as in fear dóighiúil ("handsome man")
I'm still a learner, so be sure to get input from others, especially for tattoos.

Post June 23 2009, 23:10 PM
cavanok
New Arrival

Benjamin wrote:Duine galánta

Thanks!

As for the noun reference, I'm more trying to translate the meaning of my name ("Cavan") which I'm told is either "Handsome One" or "The Handsome One", is Duine galanta still the best translation?

Post June 23 2009, 23:19 PM
CaoimhínSF
Craiceáilte

Actually, I think galánta [don't forget the accent] is more like genteel/refined and that sort of thing.

duine dóighiúil
handsome person

fear dóighiúil
handsome man

You may be confusing your name with Caoimhín (which is my name, Kevin), which comes from the word caoimh, meaning "gentle", "mild", or "lovely", or else Caomhán [usually anglicized as Kevan], which is from the related word caomh, also meaning "mild" or "comely". I've never seen Cavan used as an equivalent for either, though it is the name of a county in Ireland, written in Iirish as Cabhán, which also means "yellow water-lily" (not sure whether the county name comes from that, though).
I'm still a learner, so be sure to get input from others, especially for tattoos.

Post June 23 2009, 23:20 PM
Benjamin
Craic Pusher

In Donegal, galánta is used for beautiful, lovely, nice, handsome etc.

Post June 23 2009, 23:22 PM
cavanok
New Arrival

kevin45sf wrote:Actually, I think galánta [don't forget the accent] is more like genteel/refined and that sort of thing.

duine dóighiúil
handsome person

fear dóighiúil
handsome man

You may be confusing your name with Caoimhín (which is my name, Kevin), which comes from the word caoimh, meaning "gentle", "mild", or "lovely", or else Caomhán [usually anglicized as Kevan], which is from the related word caomh, also meaning "mild" or "comely". I've never seen Cavan used as an equivalent for either, though it is the name of a county in Ireland, written in Iirish as Cabhán, which also means "yellow water-lily" (not sure whether the county name comes from that, though).

I had actually heard that in the case of Cavan "county", the cabhán meant "Hollow". I was always told the name Cavan used a boys name meant handsome one and had some sort of gaelic meaning as such, if I type it into Google I get the same responses, made up?

Post June 23 2009, 23:29 PM
CaoimhínSF
Craiceáilte

I'm not a native speaker (though two of my grandparents were), so I'm no expert on what first names are possible. I've just never seen Cavan as a first name.

I just looked up County Cavan in Flanagan's Irish Place Names, and you're right that it comes from a word meaning "hollow", and I see now that that meaning of the word is in my FGB dictionary.

Benjamin: I defer to your judgment on galánta. Adjectives can often have different shades of meaning in different places.

Post June 23 2009, 23:32 PM
fiairefeadha
Craiceáilte

Benjamin wrote:In Donegal, galánta is used for beautiful, lovely, nice, handsome etc.
In conamara it can have a more negative meaning as in someone who tries to dress and appear too fancy.

Post June 23 2009, 23:51 PM
cavanok
New Arrival

fiairefeadha wrote:
Benjamin wrote:In Donegal, galánta is used for beautiful, lovely, nice, handsome etc.
In conamara it can have a more negative meaning as in someone who tries to dress and appear too fancy.

Ah, well that's not good...

So there isn't a literal meaning I could translate to handsome one? Probably the best is Handsome man (fear dóighiúil). Any concenses from you folks? Just trying to learn a few things before I head over from the States later this week...

Thanks for the help!

Next