Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

pronunciation of 'tada gan iarracht' ?

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post May 21 2009, 10:15 AM
Cait-Beck
New Arrival

hi all,

im interested in getting the Gaelic phrase 'tada gan iarracht' - meaning nothing without effort, i hope! - tattooed on my body.

i was just wondering if anyone would be able to help me out with the pronunciation??? i want to make sure i have it right.

thanks, would be a great help!

Cait.

Post May 21 2009, 11:11 AM
brianocuinn
Laoch na nGael

Yup, that's what it means.

Pronunciation's always a toughy but my iarracht (effort) is :

Tod(like the name)
a - just like the english 'a'
Gone - as in he's gone away.
Ear - on the side of your head.
Oct(as in the start of octogan)

So:

Tod-a Gone Ear-oct.

Post May 21 2009, 11:18 AM
Benjamin
Craic Pusher

In Tory Island Irish, not sure about the mainland. Gan would join up with iarracht as prononced as one word.

It is like that too with other words, especially the article. ''An áit'' = [uh naatch] etc.

So, I prononce it as: ta-duh gu-neerrart

Post October 15 2010, 23:01 PM
garaidh
New Arrival

I know im out of order (in a sense) here , but is there anyone with the abilty to tell me what the difference between the spelling of " tada gan iarracht" in irish gaelic and scottish gaelic? im a half scottish half irish (father from scotland mother from ireland) born in scotland and i figure its more sensible to have the scottish version, but as you know we dont really speak gaelic.

Post October 15 2010, 23:13 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

garaidh wrote:I know im out of order (in a sense) here , but is there anyone with the abilty to tell me what the difference between the spelling of " tada gan iarracht" in irish gaelic and scottish gaelic? im a half scottish half irish (father from scotland mother from ireland) born in scotland and i figure its more sensible to have the scottish version, but as you know we dont really speak gaelic.

Irish and Scottish Gaelic are different languages.

Redwolf