Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

How to say Mom and Dad?

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post May 04 2009, 7:12 AM
novela
Getting Addicted

In the 1870's, what would a man in his early 20's call his parents? Mum and Dad? Or would he say Da? Need some help. Thanks.

Post May 04 2009, 9:18 AM
SeanMurphy1
Giostaire

Ma ...Mum
Da..Dad
Ritheann fear buile trí thuile go dána, ach is minic thug tuile fear buile le fána

Post May 04 2009, 22:47 PM
novela
Getting Addicted

SeanMurphy1 wrote:Ma ...Mum
Da..Dad

Thanks. Sounds like I can use Mum and Dad in my story with no problem. :D
Last edited by novela on May 04 2009, 23:15 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Post May 04 2009, 22:51 PM
DoireTrasna
Aistritheoir Cíocrach

novela wrote:In the 1870's, what would a man in his early 20's call his parents? Mum and Dad? Or would he say Da? Need some help. Thanks.

well, a little context might help. where does the dude live and what is his native language ?

Post May 04 2009, 23:18 PM
novela
Getting Addicted

DoireTrasna wrote:
novela wrote:In the 1870's, what would a man in his early 20's call his parents? Mum and Dad? Or would he say Da? Need some help. Thanks.

well, a little context might help. where does the dude live and what is his native language ?

Sorry, I figured since I came here it would be understood he was Irish from Ireland. But my apologies for that.

Post May 04 2009, 23:34 PM
DoireTrasna
Aistritheoir Cíocrach

novela wrote:
DoireTrasna wrote:

Sorry, I figured since I came here it would be understood he was Irish from Ireland. But my apologies for that.

where in Ireland ? in 1870 a large part of the country spoke English as their vernacular.

On this site, we get requests for Scots Gaelic and even "Celtic" :roll:

For an accurate translation, you need to give as much context as possible.

Post May 04 2009, 23:58 PM
novela
Getting Addicted

DoireTrasna, I am writing about a man from Galway. Does that help? Sorry for not understanding you before.

And let me ask you this... If I were to pay the $20.00 to access the higher level on this website, would that give me the dialects and correct way to write out the pronunciations? I not only need to hear the words, I need to know how to write the translations along with the correct original spellings since I'm trying very hard to be accurate. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Post May 05 2009, 0:00 AM
DoireTrasna
Aistritheoir Cíocrach

no need to pay anybody anything - you will get what you need here if you just ask the right questions

Bríd is from CO Galway - maybe she can give you a specific word from that region.

I suspect that in those days, a more respectful term than ma / da would have been used to address parents in English and more so in Irish.

Let's wait to hear from Bríd (it's 1 AM in Ireland) or one of the others from that region (though, they do not come around as often). So you may need to check back tomorrow.

Post May 05 2009, 0:05 AM
Sassy Lassie
Giostaire

novela,

Your $20 will give you access to many Irish sayings with sound. Most of the sayings are provided in all three dialects.

Here is the best place for translations, free and acurate.

Sassy
Sassy Lassie

Gorm Abú
Is fearr Gaeilge bhriste, ná Bearla cliste.

Post May 05 2009, 0:13 AM
novela
Getting Addicted

DoireTrasna wrote:no need to pay anybody anything - you will get what you need here if you just ask the right questions

Bríd is from CO Galway - maybe she can give you a specific word from that region.

Thank you, it sounds like Bríd and I need to talk. :wink: So how does a computer illiterate like me contact her?

Next