Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

meaning of my son's name

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post April 04 2009, 3:12 AM
ncobrien
New Arrival

I just had a baby boy. we named him Kellan

the meaning of his name is

"Descendant Of The Brightheaded One"

i would really like to know how to say/write it in Irish Gaelic for some art work for his room and such.

thank you!

Post April 04 2009, 3:16 AM
BridMhor
Craiceáilte

Wouldn't it have been better to have given him a name in Irish to begin with.

Non-Irish origin names don't translate.

Post April 04 2009, 3:59 AM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

"Kellan" isn't an Irish name, I'm afraid. The place you got it from may have confused it with "Ceallach" (pronounced, roughly K(y)EL-ukh), which is based on words that once meant "bright-headed." Or you may have been thinking of the surname "Ó Ceallach," which means "grandson of Ceallach" (it's where the Anglicized surname of "Kelly" comes from). Without the Ó, there's no "descendant" implied, however, and Kellan really doesn't sound much like Ceallach, so you may have been given misinformation.

Redwolf

Post April 04 2009, 5:35 AM
kenailan
Craiceáilte

Actually Kellan is a common anglicization of an Irish sur-name Mac Coílin Some spell it Kellen as well. Not used as a given name in Ireland, though, that I know of. It is used in America eg. the actor Kellan Lutz