Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

How do you say Good Morning in Gaelic?

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post March 04 2009, 19:24 PM
gracie_sachs
New Arrival

Hello - My daughter's Kindergarten class learns how to say Good Morning every month in a new language and since we're mostly Irish (mom's maiden name is Murphy) I thought it would be nice for her to learn it and teach her peers. What is "Good Morning" in Gaelic and how is it phonetically pronounced?

Thanks!

Post March 04 2009, 19:28 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

There are a couple of ways (when there's a slash between words, you use the first if speaking to one person and the second when speaking to more than one person):

Maidin mhaith: MAJ-in why (this is going to be the easiest for little ones, I think)

Dia duit/daoibh ar maidin: JEE-uh ditch/DEE-uv air MAJ-in

Móra na maidine duit/daoibh: MOHR-uh nuh MAJ-in-eh ditch/DEE-uv

Pronunciation will vary somewhat, depending on which part of the country you're in.

Redwolf
Last edited by Redwolf on March 04 2009, 19:29 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Post March 04 2009, 19:29 PM
Sassy Lassie
Giostaire

Maidin Mhaith, but I will leave the pronunciation to other folks.

Sassy
Sassy Lassie

Gorm Abú
Is fearr Gaeilge bhriste, ná Bearla cliste.

Post March 04 2009, 20:19 PM
Christy Quinn.
Craiceáilte

Redwolf wrote:There are a couple of ways (when there's a slash between words, you use the first if speaking to one person and the second when speaking to more than one person):

Maidin mhaith: MAJ-in why (this is going to be the easiest for little ones, I think)

Pronunciation will vary somewhat, depending on which part of the country you're in.

Redwolf

Hi, I love ''Móra na maidine , Now is this where we got/get ''Top o' th Mornin''? Críostóir.
Wait for more to be sure.
Quae Sursum volo videre.
The Mouth from the South.
An sean duine liath.

Post March 04 2009, 21:57 PM
Marnéalach
Gaeilgeoir

Redwolf wrote:
Maidin mhaith: MAJ-in why

I 2nd that, it's used more often, and I agree it'l be easier for the kiddos.......
Just for sh*ts and grins, Ohayo Gosaimasu is good morning in Japanese if you want to use that on another week. I'm only saying that because it's the only other language I know how to say good morning in. :lol:
Nuair a bhíon an deoch istigh bíonn an chiall amuigh.

Post March 04 2009, 21:58 PM
Tiarnan2
Andúileach IGTF

Christy Quinn. wrote:
Redwolf wrote:There are a couple of ways (when there's a slash between words, you use the first if speaking to one person and the second when speaking to more than one person):

Redwolf

Hi, I love ''Móra na maidine , Now is this where we got/get ''Top o' th Mornin''? Críostóir.

We got got it Xty..but we dinnae want it!
=================

Nuair a shuíonn an coileach péacoige ar a thóin, níl ann ach turcach

Chief Buffalo Breath
===========================

Wisdom is never on the menu, you have to own the restaurant.

Post March 05 2009, 1:38 AM
Pwyll2
Giostaire

In Donegal Gaeltacht, I heard people saying "maidin mhaith".
Is fearr Gaeilg chliste ná Gaeilg bhriste

Learn the sounds of Irish here: http://loig.cheveau.ifrance.com/irish/i ... ounds.html & http://annexedicoirlfr.ifrance.com/

Post March 05 2009, 1:47 AM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

Pwyll2 wrote:In Donegal Gaeltacht, I heard people saying "maidin mhaith".

I think we had that covered already.

Redwolf