Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

How do you say "Yes" & "No" ?

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post February 18 2009, 18:56 PM
Bearn
Laoch na nGael

As well I am aware. Answering with a verb is so easy I find the idea of a flat yes and know frankly, alien. But that's not to say that divergences from the norm are not starting to occur in native speech. Lughaidh might know more
Tír gan seacláid, tír gan anam!

Post February 18 2009, 19:00 PM
ulster and proud
Laoch na nGael

is ea and ní hea are answers to questions using the copula

Post February 18 2009, 19:14 PM
Caffler
Aistritheoir Cíocrach

ulster and proud wrote:is ea and ní hea are answers to questions using the copula

aye but i think you'd tend to only use them to answer something indefinite otherwise you'd use is é or ní hé but i'm not totally sure

is cathaoir í
sea
is í an chathaoir í
ní hí

and there's a bit more to this i'm sure.
Get the Ræliksen CD here
éist leis an gceol

tá sult na saoirse i gcló na gcrann
is grá don tsúil a fiaradh,
tá dúil sa rud tá casta cam
is gráin don bhog is don díreach.

Post February 18 2009, 19:35 PM
Ladybugmorris
Anseo again

is cathaoir í
sea
is í an chathaoir í
ní hí

How do you say these?

Post February 18 2009, 20:47 PM
Ladybugmorris
Anseo again

Can someone break it down for me?

My husband and I are trying to learn the language, we are going spend the summer there, if not this summer, next summer. We are speaking Irish to each other as much as we can.

Post February 18 2009, 21:14 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

Ladybugmorris wrote:Can someone break it down for me?

My husband and I are trying to learn the language, we are going spend the summer there, if not this summer, next summer. We are speaking Irish to each other as much as we can.

What, exactly, do you need broken down? Is the "yes/no" thing still confusing you? (don't worry, if so...it gets a lot of us!)

As we've said, there are no words for "yes," and "no" in Irish. When asked a question, you reply "yes" by using the positive form of the verb in the question and no by using the negative form of the verb. For example:

An dtuigeann tú?: Do you understand?

Tuigim: Yes (literally "I understand")

Ni thuigim: No (literally "I don't understand")

An bhfuil Gaeilge agat?: Do you speak Irish? (literally "is there Irish at-you?")

: Yes (literally "there is")

Níl: No (literally "is not")

Ar mhaith leat cupán tae?: Would you like a cup of tea?

Ba mhaith: Yes (literally "would like")

Níor mhaith: No (literally "wouldn't like")

Etc., Etc., Etc. "Yes" and "No" are always going to depend on the question that is asked.

Redwolf

Post February 18 2009, 21:27 PM
Ladybugmorris
Anseo again

Ahh! Thank you this is very helpful Redwolf, you are very kind!! :)

Previous