Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

How to correctly spell my child's name!

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post January 13 2009, 0:44 AM
BridMhor
Craiceáilte

Brighid is what my mother taught me. But when I went to school the teachers changed it to modern spelling, i.e. Bríd.

OP both are pronunced the same. The gh in Brighid is silent.
Not to be confused with Bridget.

Post January 13 2009, 12:56 PM
BridMhor
Craiceáilte

In no way am I trying to put the OP off choosing Bríd here.
In my experience only Irish speakers pronounce the name correctly. As you know I went to England last month and my two year old grand-niece was the only one who got the pronunciation right. My two nephews who don’t speak Irish say “Breed”. Actually Breed is the commonist pronunciation I hear amonst English speakers, with the English “r”. My sister-in-law who has lived in my hometown for at least 30 years calls me Breege. Even though she was originally a Irish speaker.(she went to USA as a small child and raised there, and that was the end of the Irish).

In a gaelscoil they will have no problem with the name. In my generation Bríd is a very common name in Ireland. It wouldn't be in America or elsewhere abroad. I recommend the name. Bríd.

Post January 13 2009, 14:03 PM
MacFear
Laoch na nGael

fiairefeadha wrote:
Barnaí wrote:
pabehan20 wrote:Failte romhat,

My wife and I are expecting our first child in ten weeks time. We don't know the gender yet but we love the name 'BREEGE'.

Is there a definitive spelling AS Gaeilge for this name?

We intend to send our child to a Gaelscoil so we want to make sure the spelling is correct.

Go raibh maith agat,
Paddy

You could go for an older spelling.

Brighde
This looks like Genitive case.Brighid would be more correct

Aye my aunties name was spelled Brighid. Im going to call my kid Bríd though just because it looks nicer to me :)

Post January 13 2009, 17:14 PM
pabehan20
New Arrival

Thanks very much for all the replies.

Your replies substantiate my suspicions.

The only problem I have now is that if we spell it BRID...people will not pronounce it as BREEGE!

Any thoughts on that one?

Post January 13 2009, 17:35 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

pabehan20 wrote:Thanks very much for all the replies.

Your replies substantiate my suspicions.

The only problem I have now is that if we spell it BRID...people will not pronounce it as BREEGE!

Any thoughts on that one?

Are you in Ireland? If so, I doubt that anyone will have a problem with it. If you're in the U.S., however, all bets are off.

Don't forget the fada, though! It's "Bríd," not "Brid."

Redwolf

Post January 13 2009, 17:43 PM
pabehan20
New Arrival

Thanks for that...in Kilkenny...up the Cats!

So you don't think there will be a problem...I must return to the boss with that information.

Slan

Previous