Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

How do I get fadas on my keyboard?

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post January 07 2009, 22:53 PM
buzzz
Anseo again

on a standard keyboard. I was told in Irish, on a messageboard, not an Irish messageboard, but by an Irish person: "Ceapaim go raibh alt agus gr will give you fadas." I don't fully understand that, and I'm not sure exactly what to do to get fadas.

(And, if "Ceapaim go raibh alt agus gr will give you fadas." is right, how do you say in Irish "I think you are right"?)

Post January 07 2009, 23:18 PM
Richie
Giostaire

buzzz wrote:on a standard keyboard. I was told in Irish, on a messageboard, not an Irish messageboard, but by an Irish person: "Ceapaim go raibh alt agus gr will give you fadas." I don't fully understand that, and I'm not sure exactly what to do to get fadas.

(And, if "Ceapaim go raibh alt agus gr will give you fadas." is right, how do you say in Irish "I think you are right"?)

He's on the right track, but there's more to it than that.

First go to Control Panel, then Regional and Language Options.
Click on "Languages" tab, and the "Details" button.
Click on the "Add" button and find where it says "English (Ireland)" or "Gaelic".
Then make sure you click on "Language Bar" and select "Show Language Bar on Desktop" so you can fix it every time your imperialistic machine reverts back to American.

Once all that's done, you can type "giotaí fada" (long vowels) by pressing the apostrophe key then the appropriate vowel, or by holding "Alt Gr" (to the right of the Space Bar) and pressing the vowel.

Ceapaim go bhfuil an ceart agat.
I think you're right.

Tá níos mó ann ná sin, ach tá sé agam anois!
There's more to it than that, but I have it now!
Wait for confirmation/correction of translations
(or anything else I state as a fact)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-ShareAlike Unported 3.0 Licence.

Post January 08 2009, 0:35 AM
buzzz
Anseo again

Go raibh mile maith agat.

Post January 08 2009, 0:36 AM
Richie
Giostaire

Fáilte! :)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-ShareAlike Unported 3.0 Licence.

Post January 08 2009, 1:13 AM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

There's only one problem with that...if you happen to be in America, you don't have an Alt Gr key.

There are ways around that for people with American keyboards...anything from changing your keyboard layout to using Alt codes (which is what I do). When you're here, however, it's even easier: Each of the accented vowels is available via buttons above the posting form. Just click and voila!

Redwolf

Post January 08 2009, 2:26 AM
CaoimhínSF
Craiceáilte

On a PC, you can use ASCII codes for some, but not all, of the characters with a fada. You can do all of the small case letters, plus the upper case "E". The reason that you cannot do the other upper case letters is that when they were creating the original ASCII codes, they did so to serve only what they then thought were the "important" languages, so you can do everything you need for French, Spanish, German, and even the Scandinavian languages, but they obviously did not care about Irish. They have added some 4-digit ASCII codes in more recent years, so I may be behind the times now as to the upper case letters (If someone knows about that, I'd love to hear).

What you do is this: with [Num Lock] turned on (which I leave on all the time anyway), you type the indicated number below on the keypad at the right, while holding down the [Alt] key:

á 160
é 130 É 144
í 161
ó 162
ú 163

For the other upper case letters (and also the small case letters), you can insert them as symbols (in Word and WordPerfect, using the "Insert" pull-down menu, then choosing "Symbol").

I know it sounds tedious to use the ASCII codes, but if you do it a lot you not only end up memorizing the codes, but you can get pretty fast at doing it. Also, when the ASDCII codes are used, the fada usually survives being transmitted elsewhere (as in email), which is not always true when you insert a symbol.

For Scots Gàidhlig, you can only do the lower case letters with ASCII codes (unless new 4-digit codes for the upper case letters have been added):

à 133
è 138
ì 141
ò 149
ù 151

If you get a full list of the ASCII codes, you'll see that you can also do umlauts (such as ä) and tildes (ñ and Ñ)., the Scandinavian æ and Æ, and the German ß, plus some foreign (to the US) money signs, such as €, ¥, and £.

Post January 08 2009, 4:05 AM
wdsci
Aistritheoir Cíocrach

That's just what Redwolf was talking about . . . the full list of 4-digit Alt codes for all uppercase and lowercase letters is on our Fonts FAQ page,
http://www.irishgaelictranslator.com/articles/?p=8
There are also 4-digit Alt codes for the grave-accented letters; they're one less than the corresponding acute-accented letter codes but they're not listed on our FAQ because they're not used in Irish, of course. You can very easily find a complete reference online with a Google search

By the way, the 3 digit codes are a completely separate thing from the 4-digit codes. For instance, even though Alt+160 will give you an á, Alt+0160 is something else entirely (I'm not sure what). The 4-digit codes follow the Unicode standard, not ASCII (or was it ANSI?).

:) David
The following is a signature:
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way
Always wait for confirmation on my translations!
Looking to preview Celtic fonts?

http://www.ellipsix.net/textwriter/render.html

Post January 08 2009, 4:07 AM
Richie
Giostaire

wdsci wrote:even though Alt+160 will give you an á, Alt+0160 is something else entirely (I'm not sure what).

Space.

...I had to try! :unknown:

Post January 08 2009, 4:08 AM
wdsci
Aistritheoir Cíocrach

kevin45sf wrote:I know it sounds tedious to use the ASCII codes, but if you do it a lot you not only end up memorizing the codes, but you can get pretty fast at doing it. Also, when the ASDCII codes are used, the fada usually survives being transmitted elsewhere (as in email), which is not always true when you insert a symbol.

By the way, that has a lot to do with the character encoding used in the email (or whatever) and practically nothing to do with how you inserted the character in the first place. Maybe it wasn't always this way but these days when you use Insert->Symbol in a word processor or copy and paste from the Character Map, it's effectively the same as using an Alt code or what you would get from an alternate keyboard layout. (The latter is, of course, by far my favorite way to enter special characters :wink:)

Post January 08 2009, 4:09 AM
wdsci
Aistritheoir Cíocrach

Richie wrote:
wdsci wrote:even though Alt+160 will give you an á, Alt+0160 is something else entirely (I'm not sure what).

Space.

...I had to try! :unknown:

Non-breaking space, specifically (after you tried I had to look it up :mrgreen:)

Next