Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

Translation please!

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post December 30 2008, 10:47 AM
loadermatt
New Arrival

I am working on an accurate translation for an old gaelic phrase.

The gaelic phrase, in english, is " it is a wedge of itself that splits the oak"

in gaelic however, there are mixed reviews as to the correct transation.

one translation states "s í ding di féin a scoilteann an dair," while the other excludes the the "t" from scoileann.

If someone could please clarify both which spelling is correct, as well as why, it would be appreciated. For anyone that can prove that it is truly the correct way, i am willing to provide monetary compensation.

Thank you very much,

Logan

Post December 30 2008, 11:06 AM
SeanMurphy1
Giostaire

i think scoilteann is mispelt
i would have said something along these lines "Is í ding di féin a scoileann an dair"

but had wait for someone who can explain better as i am shite for explaing things hope i have helped in some way
Ritheann fear buile trí thuile go dána, ach is minic thug tuile fear buile le fána

Post December 30 2008, 13:49 PM
fiairefeadha
Craiceáilte

loadermatt wrote:I am working on an accurate translation for an old gaelic phrase.

The gaelic phrase, in english, is " it is a wedge of itself that splits the oak"

in gaelic however, there are mixed reviews as to the correct transation.

one translation states "s í ding di féin a scoilteann an dair," while the other excludes the the "t" from scoileann.

If someone could please clarify both which spelling is correct, as well as why, it would be appreciated. For anyone that can prove that it is truly the correct way, i am willing to provide monetary compensation.

Thank you very much,

Logan
I think you may be incorrect about this proverb .It should be ;"It is a wedge of itself that splits the Elm(Leamhán)".The correct form would be scoilteann spelled with a t.(Ding de féin a scoilteann an leamhán) Ó Duinín.Oak isnt that hard to split as it has a tendency to crack radially when its drying,Planks of Oak have been found dating from the stone age (neolithic)in Ireland & Britain.Elm on the other hand is very tough and notoriously hard to split.

Post December 30 2008, 15:47 PM
Tiarnan2
Andúileach IGTF

Ill make it two for t
Scoilteann :zustimm:
=================

Nuair a shuíonn an coileach péacoige ar a thóin, níl ann ach turcach

Chief Buffalo Breath
===========================

Wisdom is never on the menu, you have to own the restaurant.