Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

SG: christmas for my wife

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post December 18 2008, 5:42 AM
dirthead
New Arrival

Please help. I wrote this for my wife and want to have it engraved on a celtic mirror for christmas and would like to do it in scottish gaelic because of both are scottish heritage please help. "My butterfly... for thru your eyes is the gateway to my soul with out you I am forever lost you are the one...my angel with the butterfly wings."

Post December 18 2008, 19:05 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

On your duplicate thread, I gave you one possible answer in Irish

A fhéileachán...óir istigh i do shúile a tá geata m'anama; gan tusa bheinn caillte go deo. Is tusa m'fhíorghrá...m'aingeal agus sciatháin féileacháin ort.

It is a paraphrase:

My butterfly...for within your eyes is the gate of my soul; without you I would be lost forever. You are my true love...my angel with butterfly wings.

Wait for more input on this.

This is an Irish translation forum. We do have a few people here who have Scottish Gaelic, but most of us do not.

Redwolf

Post December 18 2008, 19:25 PM
dirthead
New Arrival

Thank you so much I have not had any luck geting this done and you are the first and only one that has responded

Post December 18 2008, 19:28 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

dirthead wrote:Thank you so much I have not had any luck geting this done and you are the first and only one that has responded

Well, you posted it pretty late last night, and asked for a language that most of us here don't have, so I'm not surprised this is your first response.

There are a few here with Scottish Gaelic, and hopefully they will respond as well.

If you decide to go with the Irish, please wait for three people to be in agreement on a translation before doing anything permanent.

Redwolf

Post December 18 2008, 19:43 PM
dirthead
New Arrival

Thank you again. Im very new to this and I would b happy to use the irish translation I have roots ther as well. The way you phrased it I think makes it better,im not a writer but more of a hopeless romantic mabye.

Post December 18 2008, 21:42 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

dirthead wrote:Thank you again. Im very new to this and I would b happy to use the irish translation I have roots ther as well. The way you phrased it I think makes it better,im not a writer but more of a hopeless romantic mabye.

No worries. Definitely wait for more input, as I'm particularly concerned about the first sentence...I think "a tá" may need to be "a bhfuil."

Or actually, we can probably just reword it this way:

A fhéileachán...óir tá geata m'anama istigh i do shúile; gan tusa bheinn caillte go deo. Is tusa m'fhíorghrá...m'aingeal agus sciatháin féileacháin ort.

Redwolf

Post December 18 2008, 23:04 PM
Tiarnan2
Andúileach IGTF

Another attempt..just a variation on RWs..+no second h in féileacáin

A fhéileacáin...óir is tré do shúile a bhfuil geata m'anama; gan tusa bheinn ar fán go deo. Is tusa m'fhíorghrá...m'aingeal agus sciatháin féileacáin ort.
=================

Nuair a shuíonn an coileach péacoige ar a thóin, níl ann ach turcach

Chief Buffalo Breath
===========================

Wisdom is never on the menu, you have to own the restaurant.

Post December 18 2008, 23:16 PM
BridMhor
Craiceáilte

...m'aingeal le sciatháin féileacháin.

Post December 19 2008, 0:47 AM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

Tiarnan2 wrote:Another attempt..just a variation on RWs..+no second h in féileacáin

A fhéileacáin...óir is tré do shúile a bhfuil geata m'anama; gan tusa bheinn ar fán go deo. Is tusa m'fhíorghrá...m'aingeal agus sciatháin féileacáin ort.

I'm going to have to email the EasyReader developer about the misspelling of "féileacán." I had originally spelled it without the "ch," but EasyReader didn't recognize it. I then searched it, and ER had "féileacháin," so I figured my memory just hadn't been all that great. But I've just looked it up in FGB, and sure enough...you're right.

Redwolf

Post December 19 2008, 0:48 AM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

I have to say, though, I like "caillte" in this context, with its dual connotation of "lost" and "perished." Seems to fit the sentiment.

Redwolf