Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

good words to use in a fantasy story

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post October 12 2008, 22:16 PM
loverorwriting1992
New Arrival

i am writing a story that uses gaelic as their chief language. could you tell me some cool words to use that you think could be good to use.

Post October 12 2008, 22:28 PM
scoobytyson
Craiceáilte

The term Gaelic describes a group of languages. We normally deal with Irish Gaelic here. You'll have to tell us what kind of words you want i.e. what topics.

What makes words 'cool' in any language??? How about smugairle róin (jellyfish) which translates literally as 'seal's snot'! I think that's rather cool and as long as your book is a fantasy about jellyfish you're laughing!!!
The money-grabbing wankers who control this site can ban me too. Talk about recruiting trolls! I've spent enough time putting money in their pockets.

Post October 12 2008, 22:52 PM
fiairefeadha
Craiceáilte

Keeping on the seaside resort theme how about "Cac ar leice" (sea anenome) which translates as shit on a flat rock.

Post October 12 2008, 22:53 PM
Caffler
Aistritheoir Cíocrach

scoobytyson wrote:The term Gaelic describes a group of languages. We normally deal with Irish Gaelic here. You'll have to tell us what kind of words you want i.e. what topics.

What makes words 'cool' in any language??? How about smugairle róin (jellyfish) which translates literally as 'seal's snot'! I think that's rather cool and as long as your book is a fantasy about jellyfish you're laughing!!!

and scooby's trannies are not to be sneezed at ;D
♬ achoo rón rón rón achoo rón rón ♬
Get the Ræliksen CD here
éist leis an gceol

tá sult na saoirse i gcló na gcrann
is grá don tsúil a fiaradh,
tá dúil sa rud tá casta cam
is gráin don bhog is don díreach.

Post October 12 2008, 23:00 PM
An tOileánach
Laoch na nGael

Are your characters going to have Tourette's syndrome and just be shouting out these words randomly? :lol:

An tOileánach

Post October 13 2008, 0:57 AM
Méabh
Scríbhneoir d'Éigean

:rotfl:
Is é Christian Stoehr mo chroí
Dáta pósadh: 16 Deireadh Fómhair 2010

Post October 13 2008, 1:25 AM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

I've always thought that "sneachta" was a good thing to shout out randomly. Said with the right emphasis, it can sound like a curse word, and, having spent my early years with sneachta up to mo thóin, as far as I'm concerned, it IS a curse word.

Redwolf

Post October 13 2008, 1:50 AM
Sassy Lassie
Giostaire

This is looking out my front window. Winter 2007

Sneachta up to mo thóin.

Sassy
Sassy Lassie

Gorm Abú
Is fearr Gaeilge bhriste, ná Bearla cliste.

Post October 13 2008, 1:52 AM
Tiarnan2
Andúileach IGTF

fiairefeadha wrote:Keeping on the seaside resort theme how about "Cac ar leice" (sea anenome) which translates as shit on a flat rock.

Aw Shite... Is that where Cock a leekie soup comes from?
=================

Nuair a shuíonn an coileach péacoige ar a thóin, níl ann ach turcach

Chief Buffalo Breath
===========================

Wisdom is never on the menu, you have to own the restaurant.

Post October 13 2008, 1:55 AM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

Sassy Lassie wrote:Image

This is looking out my front window. Winter 2007

Sneachta up to mo thóin.

Sassy

Ohhhh...sneachta! (see what I mean?)

Redwolf

Next