Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

Irish / Gaelic Writing style

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post October 10 2008, 21:04 PM
Mac-eogh
New Arrival

Hello,
Can I get some advice on what the proper Irish or Gaelic writing style would be? I am getting a place name carved / cut in a large stone and want to have it as original as possible...... I would appreciate any advice; thanks.

Post October 10 2008, 21:18 PM
Beagle
Scéalaí Mór

Irish uses the same letters as English, but click on Fonts on the left hand side of this site and you'll find some interesting styles of lettering

Post October 11 2008, 0:50 AM
wdsci
Aistritheoir Cíocrach

Yep, that's exactly right . . . to elaborate, you can just use any regular font/writing style, as long as it supports the accented vowels (nearly all do), and it's no more or less valid for writing modern Irish than any other. However, the interesting styles that Beagle referred you do are fonts that are designed to look like the way Irish was written long ago, a more "traditional" style.

One other thing that bears mentioning: back in the old days (and actually up to the early 20th century), people writing in Irish would sometimes use a style called "seanchló", in which what we'd normally write as an 'h' after a consonant would instead be written as a dot over that consonant, with no 'h'. There are a few other minor changes involved in seanchló style - for instance, the lowercase letters r and s look slightly different. If you'd like to use seanchló style, let us know what phrase you want and we can help you figure out what it's supposed to look like.

:) David
The following is a signature:
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way
Always wait for confirmation on my translations!
Looking to preview Celtic fonts?

http://www.ellipsix.net/textwriter/render.html

Post October 11 2008, 7:45 AM
MisterShamrock
Scéalaí Mór

Mac-E - If you want your inscription to be "old style" go for a font such
as "Bunchló GC" which can be viewed at www.gaelchlo.org/clonna.html

To see the font transcription process occuring go to IGF link below:

www.irishgaelictranslator.com/translati ... 8-s10.html

All the best with whatever style you choose.

Await confirmation for any inscription!

The Noble Shamrock

Post October 11 2008, 22:46 PM
wdsci
Aistritheoir Cíocrach

Just to be completely clear on this: simply using a font like Bunchló GC will not put your phrase in seanchló style as I described it above. MisterShamrock is using "old style" to mean simply the style of the font, not the style of writing (if that makes any sense).

Post October 15 2008, 21:25 PM
Mac-eogh
New Arrival

Thanks guys for your comments sofar.
The name I am leaning towards using is either "Cois Locha Bó Finne" or "Cladach Loch Bó Finne" if the spelling and translation is ok for either. What would you suggest I do about style, and if the names are ok?
I look forward to hear from you and really appreciate your help.
Kind Regards,
Barry.

Post October 17 2008, 1:36 AM
wdsci
Aistritheoir Cíocrach

Since we're talking about the translation from your other thread,
viewtopic.75009.html
let's keep the discussion there.