Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

what is the phonetic pronunciation of slainte?

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post October 09 2008, 0:07 AM
drwonderful
New Arrival

what is the phonetic pronunciation of slainte? i want to use this at a wedding toast next Saturday, October 18.
thank you.
bill

Post October 09 2008, 0:10 AM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

drwonderful wrote:what is the phonetic pronunciation of slainte? i want to use this at a wedding toast next Saturday, October 18.
thank you.
bill

Sláinte...roughly "SLAN-cheh"

Plug it in here:

http://www.abair.tcd.ie/index.php

To hear it said aloud by a native speaker.

Redwolf

Post October 09 2008, 3:27 AM
An tOileánach
Laoch na nGael

Wha? Is that Gweedore woman correct, or is it just an Ulster thang? I have been hearing that word my whole life and it has always been pronounced SLAWN-chuh. I thought even the fada would indicate it was pronounced that way. But all my family is from Connacht. Could I have been wrong for 40 years? 8O

An tOileánach

Post October 09 2008, 5:13 AM
Tiarnan2
Andúileach IGTF

Me too ...The Further south you go the the á becomes more "awesome"
=================

Nuair a shuíonn an coileach péacoige ar a thóin, níl ann ach turcach

Chief Buffalo Breath
===========================

Wisdom is never on the menu, you have to own the restaurant.

Post October 09 2008, 5:41 AM
An tOileánach
Laoch na nGael

Tiarnan2 wrote:Me too ...The Further south you go the the á becomes more "awesome"
Whew! :zustimm: GRMA

Post October 09 2008, 6:10 AM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

An t-Oileanach wrote:Wha? Is that Gweedore woman correct, or is it just an Ulster thang? I have been hearing that word my whole life and it has always been pronounced SLAWN-chuh. I thought even the fada would indicate it was pronounced that way. But all my family is from Connacht. Could I have been wrong for 40 years? 8O

An tOileánach

In Ulster, the "á" has a flatter sound...and in Gweedore they flatten it considerably. I don't pronounce it quite as flatly as she does, but I definitely don't pronounce it as broadly as folks in Munster would.

Redwolf