Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

I need a translation please..

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post October 07 2008, 18:23 PM
angrypiratepimp
New Arrival

I would like a Gaelic and/or Irish translation of the word "lucky". I have found many, but I'm not sure which is the most accurate, here they are if you'd like to take a look:
lucky = ámharach
lucky = ádhúil
sona
séanmhar

..I would like to find the most accurate and correct form of the word. Thank you.

Post October 07 2008, 19:11 PM
MisterShamrock
Scéalaí Mór

-------------------------

"Ádhúil / Lucky"

-------------------------

Please await confirmation.

An tUasal Seamróg

Post October 07 2008, 19:19 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

angrypiratepimp wrote:I would like a Gaelic and/or Irish translation of the word "lucky". I have found many, but I'm not sure which is the most accurate, here they are if you'd like to take a look:
lucky = ámharach
lucky = ádhúil
sona
séanmhar

..I would like to find the most accurate and correct form of the word. Thank you.

Both "ámharach" and "ádhúil" are accurate, valid, ways to say "lucky." The right choice may depend on how you plan to use them.

"Sona" means "happy," not "lucky."

"Séanmhar" has more the meaning of "prosperous."

Redwolf

Post October 08 2008, 3:18 AM
angrypiratepimp
New Arrival

Thank you.. well I want to get it as a tattoo kind of meaning that I have the luck of the Irish since I am mainly Irish..I just want it to symbolize that I believe I am lucky since I am Irish and that I'm proud of it. That's the way I want the word to be presented.. if that changes the spelling of it at all please let me know. And also I was wondering where I might find either present or older century Galeic/Irish fonts ( I think it would add more emphasism into the tattoo). Thank you all for your help.

Post October 08 2008, 8:41 AM
MisterShamrock
Scéalaí Mór

'AngryPP' - If you want your tattoo to be "old style" go for a font such
as "Bunchló GC" which can be viewed at www.gaelchlo.org/clonna.html

To see the font transcription process occuring go to IGF link below:

www.irishgaelictranslator.com/translati ... 8-s10.html

All the best with whatever style you choose.

Await confirmation for any tattoo!

The Noble Shamrock

PS - This Irish Community Forum has a "fonts" section at top left