Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

Translation for Tattoo "Brothers for Life"

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post September 30 2008, 5:12 AM
tbsupers
New Arrival

Hey everyone ive had several interpretations but i would like some confirmations of a translation ..im looking for "brothers for life" or "brother for life" preferably the first one...so for i have this

Dearthaireacha go Brach = Brothers (related) forever

Dearthaireacha le do sholas = Brothers (related) for life

Dearthaireacha go Saol = Brothers (related) for life

Please tell me what the gramatically correct version is for this tattoo...thank you so much

Post September 30 2008, 5:24 AM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

tbsupers wrote:Hey everyone ive had several interpretations but i would like some confirmations of a translation ..im looking for "brothers for life" or "brother for life" preferably the first one...so for i have this

Dearthaireacha go Brach = Brothers (related) forever

Dearthaireacha le do sholas = Brothers (related) for life

Dearthaireacha go Saol = Brothers (related) for life

Please tell me what the gramatically correct version is for this tattoo...thank you so much

Well, one very important factor is, is this your actual sibling, or someone you THINK of as a brother, but who isn't actually a relative? That's pretty basic, as they're completely different words in Irish. "Deartháireacha" only applies to actual, related, brothers.

Assuming that's what you mean, "Deartháireacha go brách" (brothers forever) is probably closest...unless you really mean that you're only brothers for as long as you both are living, and after that, forget it...all bets are off.

BTW, "le do sholas" means "with your light." Not sure where you got that.

Another thing...those accent marks are important. Without them, the words are misspelled, and can even have completely different meanings. You can get the accents here by clicking on the appropriate buttons above the posting form. If you don't, you're going to continue to get the warning that they're important because...well...they are.

Redwolf

Post September 30 2008, 5:32 AM
tbsupers
New Arrival

Yes we are related he lives in florida i live in new jersey and dont see him much were 10 years apart ..and yes sorry about the accents i was in a hurry to get an answer lol been going crazy for a week now...and the le do sholas was from a dictionary online i guess they are not as accurate as one would think ..thank you for your help im going with the "Deartháireacha Go Brách" like i originally planned ..and one more question if i wanted a celtic symbol for brotherhood what could i use..something like the "brothers of the arrow" symbol?

Post September 30 2008, 5:37 AM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

tbsupers wrote:Yes we are related he lives in florida i live in new jersey and dont see him much were 10 years apart ..and yes sorry about the accents i was in a hurry to get an answer lol been going crazy for a week now...and the le do sholas was from a dictionary online i guess they are not as accurate as one would think ..thank you for your help im going with the "Deartháireacha Go Brách" like i originally planned ..and one more question if i wanted a celtic symbol for brotherhood what could i use..something like the "brothers of the arrow" symbol?

1) Before you do ANYTHING, wait until at LEAST three people here have confirmed a translation. That's a huge, huge, very important tenet of this site.

2) There is no such thing as a "Celtic symbol" that means anything other than what some modern, money-hungry jeweler or "new age" flake wants it to mean. Irish isn't written using "symbols," and never has been. Use the words, or use nothing, unless you want to look like a fool.

Redwolf

Post September 30 2008, 5:41 AM
tbsupers
New Arrival

yea well you and several other people confirmed this translation in other posts..ive read about 30 other posts related to the same subject and yea i was aware of the anciet writing i was just wondering about a symbol similar to a celtic tree of life or something of that nature..thanks for you help

Post September 30 2008, 6:21 AM
kenailan
Craiceáilte

The Celtic Tree of Life is an original design by Welsh artist Jen Delyth This is perhaps Jen Delyth's most well known and appreciated design. She created it in 1990. It's an original, contemporary design and is not based on any ancient or modern Celtic pattern. It's taken root as a modern Celtic motif. However it is copywrited and not a public domain image. It's being touted, these days as an ancient Irish symbol.

Post September 30 2008, 13:49 PM
Tiarnan2
Andúileach IGTF

Le mo sholas is apparently an idiom (FGB) "äs long as I live"
=================

Nuair a shuíonn an coileach péacoige ar a thóin, níl ann ach turcach

Chief Buffalo Breath
===========================

Wisdom is never on the menu, you have to own the restaurant.

Post October 01 2008, 4:49 AM
tbsupers
New Arrival

o i see so it can mean that but it is not technically understood like that by everyone..ok thanks