Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

Need a translation and list of Irish Battlecries

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post September 27 2008, 16:02 PM
SeanMcB
New Arrival

I'm working on a writing project involving Irish units going into combat and can't find a list of battlecries anywhere, if anyone here can help I'll put a new floor on your house.

I do have one battlecry of a Middle Eastern/Moorish source that I would like translated:

"Awake The Iron"

Thank you very much!

Post September 27 2008, 16:14 PM
Tiarnan2
Andúileach IGTF

“Fag-an-Bealach” (Clear the way), (the Fighting 69th)
=================

Nuair a shuíonn an coileach péacoige ar a thóin, níl ann ach turcach

Chief Buffalo Breath
===========================

Wisdom is never on the menu, you have to own the restaurant.

Post September 27 2008, 16:30 PM
Caomhánach na gael
Gaeilgeoir

Éirinn go Brách (Ireland forever) was used by the Batallón de San Patricio (ST. Patricks Brigade) on the side of Mexico during the Mexican-American war.

Post September 27 2008, 16:31 PM
DoireTrasna
Aistritheoir Cíocrach

múscail an t-iarann ~ awake the iron (order to one person)

músclaígí an t-iarann ~ awake the iron (order to multiple people)

and I do need a new floor

Post September 27 2008, 17:01 PM
An tOileánach
Laoch na nGael

Tiarnan2 wrote:“Fag-an-Bealach” (Clear the way), (the Fighting 69th)

And remember the accent (fada) on Fág.
:wink:

An tOileánach

Post September 27 2008, 19:49 PM
SeanMcB
New Arrival

These are all awesome, guys! Thank you very much.

If you can think of anymore, it would be greatly appreciated!

Post September 27 2008, 21:27 PM
Caomhánach na gael
Gaeilgeoir

Riamh Nar Dhruid O Sbairn Lann", ("Who never retreated from the Clash of Spears.") Dont think it was a battle but I do know it was used on one of the flags of the irish brigade during the civil war (american civil war)

Post September 27 2008, 21:50 PM
Caomhánach na gael
Gaeilgeoir

according to the "Four Masters" who wrote the annals of Ireland ie medieval Ireland another one was "Farrah Farrah" which according to some meant to fight valiantly while others said it came from the word "faire" which meant to watch out or be on your gaurd

Post September 27 2008, 21:55 PM
Caomhánach na gael
Gaeilgeoir

another one from the "Four Masters" was "Abú" which they say came from the word "buaidh" which meant victory, they say that many irish chiefs would use this as their battle cry eg "O'Neill abú"

Post September 27 2008, 22:06 PM
Caomhánach na gael
Gaeilgeoir

four masters again," Lamh dearg an-Uachtar" was meant to have used by the O'Neills (the red hand the top/uppermost/great) the red hand was the O'Neills symbol.also they write that they used "lamh dearg abú" (red hand forever/victory) they also write that the battle-cry of the O'Briens of Thomond was "Lamhlaidir a n-Uachtar" (the Strong Hand the top/uppermost/great)

Next