Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

Gaelic translation!

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post September 13 2008, 16:20 PM
megshep
New Arrival

hey, i was just wondering if anyone can translate this saying for me into gaelic

"Never Forget"

or

"Always Remember"

its for a tattoo idea i have.

thanks!

Post September 13 2008, 16:33 PM
pennyrat
Scéalaí Mór

This is in Irish. If it's Gaelic you want it will be different..
"Never forget / Ná déan dearmad choíche"
"Always remember / cuimhnigh i gcónaí "

Post September 13 2008, 17:16 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

pennyrat wrote:This is in Irish. If it's Gaelic you want it will be different..

Just to clarify (since most people really don't know), when the word "Gaelic" is used by itself, it typically refers to the language of Scotland. When speaking of the language spoken in Ireland, usually the term "Irish" is preferred. It's not really incorrect to call Irish "Gaelic," but it does cause confusion, as any learning resource, dictionary or website pertaining to the language will use "Irish" (and any resource referring to the language of Scotland will use "Gaelic").

I figure it's important to explain these things to visitors, as most people really don't know there's a difference.

Redwolf

Post September 13 2008, 17:51 PM
mrldisle
Laoch na nGael

Redwolf wrote:Just to clarify (since most people really don't know), when the word "Gaelic" is used by itself, it typically refers to the language of Scotland. When speaking of the language spoken in Ireland, usually the term "Irish" is preferred. It's not really incorrect to call Irish "Gaelic," but it does cause confusion, as any learning resource, dictionary or website pertaining to the language will use "Irish" (and any resource referring to the language of Scotland will use "Gaelic").

I figure it's important to explain these things to visitors, as most people really don't know there's a difference.

Redwolf

I think this is the best explaination you've given yet. :mrgreen:
I'm a learner so please wait for confirmation on anything I translate!

Post September 13 2008, 17:57 PM
pennyrat
Scéalaí Mór

Redwolf wrote:
pennyrat wrote:This is in Irish. If it's Gaelic you want it will be different..

Just to clarify (since most people really don't know), when the word "Gaelic" is used by itself, it typically refers to the language of Scotland. When speaking of the language spoken in Ireland, usually the term "Irish" is preferred. It's not really incorrect to call Irish "Gaelic," but it does cause confusion, as any learning resource, dictionary or website pertaining to the language will use "Irish" (and any resource referring to the language of Scotland will use "Gaelic").

Redwolf

Ay Redwolf, grma for the explanation. Will certainly explain that in future posts.

Post September 16 2008, 1:22 AM
megshep
New Arrival

i just wanted to kno how to say "never forget" and "always remember" in irish gaelic

Post September 16 2008, 1:41 AM
fiairefeadha
Craiceáilte

"Ná déan dearmad go deo" "Cuimhnigh go brách"

Post September 16 2008, 1:48 AM
pennyrat
Scéalaí Mór

megshep wrote:i just wanted to kno how to say "never forget" and "always remember" in irish gaelic

Do you mean pronunciation? If that's the case, you can go here to get an idea..
http://www.abair.tcd.ie/index.php?page= ... s&lang=eng
Try putting the words in separately to get a clearer sound of each word.

Post August 17 2009, 0:19 AM
Anaugh
New Arrival

Translation and pronunciation please for "Always remembered".

Post August 17 2009, 0:29 AM
DoireTrasna
Aistritheoir Cíocrach

Anaugh wrote:Translation and pronunciation please for "Always remembered".

previously, you asked for "Always remember" this is now either a refinement or a typo.

Previously, you were given "remember" as instruction / order to one hearer.

cuimhnithe i gcónaí

Also, if you meant "forever" instead of "always" it will be cuimhnithe go deo
Last edited by DoireTrasna on August 17 2009, 1:35 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Next