Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

New search engine.

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post July 29 2008, 11:48 AM
Christy Quinn.
Craiceáilte

Hi a cháirde , tá ''search engine ' núa ann darb ainm 'Cuil' bainn triall as.
New search engine called 'Cuil' a gaelic word give it a go. Christy
Wait for more to be sure.
Quae Sursum volo videre.
The Mouth from the South.
An sean duine liath.

Post July 29 2008, 11:53 AM
avanutria
Getting Addicted

I heard it's supposed to mean "knowledge" but my dictionary defines it as "fly" (the insect). Is it Old Irish, maybe?
I design Irish language products via Cafepress. Custom requests welcome! http://www.cafepress.com/anseo

Post July 29 2008, 12:16 PM
Christy Quinn.
Craiceáilte

avanutria wrote:I heard it's supposed to mean "knowledge" but my dictionary defines it as "fly" (the insect). Is it Old Irish, maybe?

Hi, I saw it on the BBC and they say it means 'hazel' the tree as well . As far as I know it is SG.
Is this another example of a resurgence in our sister Gaelic however small. I was very pleased to see the Nova Scotian effort to reclaim their Gaelic heritage. Also a bit extra, ''Firefox'' as Gaeilge. Try it.
Christy
Wait for more to be sure.
Quae Sursum volo videre.
The Mouth from the South.
An sean duine liath.

Post July 29 2008, 12:29 PM
avanutria
Getting Addicted

Shea, tá Firefox as Gaeilge agam, is breá liom é, ach I still have to refer to English screenshots on some of the more complex menus!
I design Irish language products via Cafepress. Custom requests welcome! http://www.cafepress.com/anseo

Post July 29 2008, 13:56 PM
Tiarnan2
Andúileach IGTF

Christy Quinn. wrote:
avanutria wrote:I heard it's supposed to mean "knowledge" but my dictionary defines it as "fly" (the insect). Is it Old Irish, maybe?

Hi, I saw it on the BBC and they say it means 'hazel' the tree as well . As far as I know it is SG.
Is this another example of a resurgence in our sister Gaelic however small. I was very pleased to see the Nova Scotian effort to reclaim their Gaelic heritage. Also a bit extra, ''Firefox'' as Gaeilge. Try it.
Christy

I saw it on NBC (or an American network yesterday.) They Said Ciúl was an old Irish word for knowledge. It was started by two ex Google employees and while it will give you more hits than Google it has no other Google like functions except search..
A Quote..Sure, I saw the eleventy billion pages it's cached or whatever. But when I type in something like 'M9250F' it SHOULD come back with the results of a computer manufactured by HP.

What I got was; "your search includes a term that is very rare. Try to find a more common substitute."

Hey, Google found 54,500 related pages...you could have at least found one or two.
Not Cool
=================

Nuair a shuíonn an coileach péacoige ar a thóin, níl ann ach turcach

Chief Buffalo Breath
===========================

Wisdom is never on the menu, you have to own the restaurant.

Post July 29 2008, 14:08 PM
Beagle
Scéalaí Mór

When you try it out, hit the faq header .Cuil says the name means hazel so they should know.

Post July 29 2008, 14:11 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

Too bad they didn't come to us first! "Cúil" = "corner/nook."

Redwolf

Post July 29 2008, 14:16 PM
Tiarnan2
Andúileach IGTF

Beagle wrote:When you try it out, hit the faq header .Cuil says the name means hazel so they should know.

Cuil is an old Irish word for knowledge. For knowledge, ask Cuil.

The above qoute from their own Website

They must be really screwed up :lach:
=================

Chief Buffalo Breath

Post July 29 2008, 14:17 PM
avanutria
Getting Addicted

Beagle wrote:When you try it out, hit the faq header .Cuil says the name means hazel so they should know.

They also say it means knowledge on http://www.cuil.com/info/ ("Cuil is an old Irish word for knowledge. For knowledge, ask Cuil.")

In the FAQ they say it means both ("Cuil is the Gaelic word for both knowledge and hazel"), and cite the story of the salmon of knowledge.

I do like the idea of sucking one's thumb to gain knowledge. Wish I'd know that as an argument when I was four.

Post July 29 2008, 14:21 PM
Tiarnan2
Andúileach IGTF

Aha...but what do they mean by nuts?

In Worship of Trees

Written and Compiled by George Knowles
Myths, Lore and the Celtic Tree Calendar / Birch / Rowan / Ash / Alder / Willow / Hawthorn / Oak / Holly / Hazel / Vine / Ivy / Reed / Elder

Hazel
The Hazel tree (Corylus avellana) is member of the birch family (Betulaceae), and is one of the sacred trees of Wicca/Witchcraft revered by the ancients and contemporaries alike. In Celtic lore the Hazel was considered a tree of knowledge, particularly in Ireland were its nuts became a symbol of great mystical wisdom. There are some 15 species of Hazel native to the Northern temperate zones and variously called filbert, hazelnut or cobnut depending on the relative length of the nut to its husk. The large cobnut variety is of the European species
=================

Chief Buffalo Breath

Next