Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

your name translated to Ogham

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post July 23 2008, 14:45 PM
celticbo
New Arrival

I came accros a great site that will translate your name to Ogham,the ancient language of the Celts.They make great tattoos. [spam link removed]

Post July 23 2008, 14:46 PM
avanutria
Getting Addicted

Hm, it's a great coincidence that your username and the website address are remarkably similar. If it's your site, why not just say so?
I design Irish language products via Cafepress. Custom requests welcome! http://www.cafepress.com/anseo

Post July 23 2008, 14:51 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

celticbo wrote:I came accros a great site that will translate your name to Ogham,the ancient language of the Celts.They make great tattoos.Visit [spam link removed]

Ogham isn't a language, it's a writing system. The site isn't a translation site, it's a transliteration site...much like those that purport to write your name in Chinese characters or Egyptian hieroglyphics. It simply renders the sounds of your name into the sounds represented by the strokes.

Ogham was used in Ireland (mostly, as far as we know, to write names and such on grave markers, as writing wasn't used extensively in Ireland until the monastic period), but I don't know if it was universal to the Celts as a whole...bear in mind that "Celt" includes many different peoples, languages and cultures.

There are free sites out there that will do this as well. If anyone is interested in getting a name rendered in Ogham script, I think I'd do a bit more research before paying a site (especially one that apparently doesn't even realize that Ogham is a writing system, not a language) to do it.

Redwolf

Post July 23 2008, 15:10 PM
Tiarnan2
Andúileach IGTF

Shes baaaaa--aaack! And we're glad Fáilte ar ais ..hope you enjoyed Ireland altho I heard the weather was "brisk",.(what else is new)
=================

Nuair a shuíonn an coileach péacoige ar a thóin, níl ann ach turcach

Chief Buffalo Breath
===========================

Wisdom is never on the menu, you have to own the restaurant.

Post July 23 2008, 15:20 PM
avanutria
Getting Addicted

Brisk is one word for it. We seem to have missed the worst of it though, as while we were in Donegal we were getting news reports of winds so strong they were overturning busses in the southern counties.
I design Irish language products via Cafepress. Custom requests welcome! http://www.cafepress.com/anseo

Post July 23 2008, 18:09 PM
wdsci
Aistritheoir Cíocrach

Redwolf wrote:
celticbo wrote:I came accros a great site that will translate your name to Ogham,the ancient language of the Celts.They make great tattoos.Visit www.celticbogwoods.com

Ogham isn't a language, it's a writing system. The site isn't a translation site, it's a transliteration site...much like those that purport to write your name in Chinese characters or Egyptian hieroglyphics. It simply renders the sounds of your name into the sounds represented by the strokes.

Actually even worse than that - most of these sites aren't even smart enough to handle sounds. They just turn the English letters into their Ogham equivalents (for somebody's possibly arbitrary definition of "equivalent") - basically it's just a font change.

:) David
The following is a signature:
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way
Always wait for confirmation on my translations!
Looking to preview Celtic fonts?

http://www.ellipsix.net/textwriter/render.html

Post December 01 2010, 11:16 AM
ssdoherty
New Arrival

I would like to have my surname (Doherty) written in Ogham. I've looked it up on [spam link removed] but am just a bit confused by the letter 'Y' as it translated to the Ogham character of 'ng'. Can anyone explain how the letter y is transferred?

Are there any other websites out there that translate to ogham?

Regards,
Steve

Post December 01 2010, 14:21 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

ssdoherty wrote:I would like to have my surname (Doherty) written in Ogham. I've looked it up on [spam link removed] but am just a bit confused by the letter 'Y' as it translated to the Ogham character of 'ng'. Can anyone explain how the letter y is transferred?

Are there any other websites out there that translate to ogham?

Regards,
Steve

1) You can't "translate" to ogham, because ogham isn't a language.

2) Irish isn't written using ogham. It's written using the same alphabet as English, minus a few letters and plus a few diacritic marks.

3) These "translate your name to ogham" sites are generally pretty much bogus.

4) If you're set on pursuing this anyway, your surname in Irish, assuming you're a man, is Ó Dochartaigh. If you're a woman, it's "Ní Dhochartaigh." You might have more luck with that, as Irish doesn't use the letter "y."

This thread is ancient, and was a spam thread besides, so I'm locking it to keep it from being resurrected again.

I'm also going to remove the links, per current forum policy on spam.

Redwolf