Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

warrior

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post June 05 2008, 19:48 PM
imonlylearning
Anseo again

whats the irish word for warrior?

Post June 05 2008, 19:50 PM
scoobytyson
Craiceáilte

Laoch or gaiscíoch
The money-grabbing wankers who control this site can ban me too. Talk about recruiting trolls! I've spent enough time putting money in their pockets.

Post June 05 2008, 19:57 PM
imonlylearning
Anseo again

thanks scoobytyson ,i noticed you have "Laoch na nGael" on ur profile does that mean warrior of ireland,sorry if im way of with that im only starting to learn irish and im pretty terrible at the moment

Post June 05 2008, 20:41 PM
scoobytyson
Craiceáilte

Year, I forgot about that. That's just one of those things that gets stuck beside your name (just as yours says 'new arrival') depending on how many posts you've done (I think).

It means warrior or hero of the Irish (or Gaelic people in general including Scotland).
The money-grabbing wankers who control this site can ban me too. Talk about recruiting trolls! I've spent enough time putting money in their pockets.

Post June 05 2008, 21:45 PM
Dun Chaochain
Laoch na nGael

scoobytyson wrote:Year, I forgot about that. That's just one of those things that gets stuck beside your name (just as yours says 'new arrival') depending on how many posts you've done (I think).

It means warrior or hero of the Irish (or Gaelic people in general including Scotland).

Actually, it means that you're now enlisted for the draft (or is that a draught)? 8)

Post June 06 2008, 12:38 PM
scoobytyson
Craiceáilte

As long as it's Guinness you're talking about, I don't care how you spell it!

Post September 11 2008, 21:53 PM
ofoglada
New Arrival

Can anyone tell me how to pronounce Gaiscioch? I've been looking all over the bloody place and cant seem to find a gaelicly challenged persons guide to saying it correctly. I really want to learn im just hopeless when it comes to language learning lol. Also i would like to know how to pronounce my family name Foglhadha. I know im missing accents. Havent figured out how to make them on a keyboard yet.

B. Foglhadha

Post September 11 2008, 21:58 PM
scoobytyson
Craiceáilte

Foley is translated as Ó Foghlú. An older spelling is Ó Foghladha. Your spelling just doesn't look right. In any case I would pronounce the name (regardless of spelling) Oh Fow-loo ('fow' rhyming with 'now')

In the older spelling Ó Foghladha, h would have been replaced by a dot over the preceding letter (over the g and the d) in the old style font.

Post September 11 2008, 23:36 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

ofoglada wrote:Can anyone tell me how to pronounce Gaiscioch? I've been looking all over the bloody place and cant seem to find a gaelicly challenged persons guide to saying it correctly. I really want to learn im just hopeless when it comes to language learning lol. Also i would like to know how to pronounce my family name Foglhadha. I know im missing accents. Havent figured out how to make them on a keyboard yet.

B. Foglhadha

Well, first you have to spell it correctly: Gaiscíoch

That accent is essential for many reasons, but especially because, if you forget it, this young lady from Gaoth Dobhair is going to have a hard time pronouncing it properly:

http://www.abair.tcd.ie/index.php

Plug the word in there where it says "Ionchuir téacs." Then click "Déan Sintéis" to generate an MP3 and .wave file. Hit "Seinn MP3" to hear the MP3 file.

To give you a point of reference, it's roughly GASH-kyukh

Redwolf

Post September 11 2008, 23:51 PM
DoireTrasna
Aistritheoir Cíocrach

or, you could just follow the instructions on the English page :

http://www.abair.tcd.ie/index.php?page= ... s&lang=eng

Next