Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

How to spell a name in Gaelic

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post May 25 2008, 7:10 AM
SonOftheGaels
Getting Addicted

How would you spell the name Dylan is Gaelic? It is a Welsh name so, I'm not sure if you would spell it the same or differently.

Thanks.

Post May 25 2008, 10:04 AM
Méabh
Scríbhneoir d'Éigean

I don't have an Irish version in my sources. Welsh is already in the Celtic family of languages, so I think it's safe to leave it as is :)

I come from Welsh stock, so maybe that flavors my opinion (mom's name is Merryl, aunt is Arlan, uncle is Jevan) ;)
Is é Christian Stoehr mo chroí
Dáta pósadh: 16 Deireadh Fómhair 2010

Post May 26 2008, 0:59 AM
SonOftheGaels
Getting Addicted

Méabh wrote:I don't have an Irish version in my sources. Welsh is already in the Celtic family of languages, so I think it's safe to leave it as is :)

I come from Welsh stock, so maybe that flavors my opinion (mom's name is Merryl, aunt is Arlan, uncle is Jevan) ;)

I had heard Dillon is the Irish spelling for the Welsh Dylan but, I wasn't sure. Would anyone here happen to know?

Post May 26 2008, 1:03 AM
DoireTrasna
Aistritheoir Cíocrach

Dillon is not a valid Irish spelling (violates spelling rules)

Post May 26 2008, 1:11 AM
SonOftheGaels
Getting Addicted

DoireTrasna wrote:Dillon is not a valid Irish spelling (violates spelling rules)

Thanks for that information. So, do you know if their is a particular Irish spelling of Dylan or not?

Post May 26 2008, 1:19 AM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

SonOftheGaels wrote:
DoireTrasna wrote:Dillon is not a valid Irish spelling (violates spelling rules)

Thanks for that information. So, do you know if their is a particular Irish spelling of Dylan or not?

There isn't. There really are only Irish forms of names that are Irish to begin with, certain Biblical or saints names, or names with long-standing association with Ireland. None of those applies to "Dylan."

Redwolf

Post May 26 2008, 2:55 AM
SonOftheGaels
Getting Addicted

Redwolf wrote:There isn't. There really are only Irish forms of names that are Irish to begin with, certain Biblical or saints names, or names with long-standing association with Ireland. None of those applies to "Dylan."

Redwolf

So, what would I do in this situation? Would I do as Méabh suggests in keep it in the Welsh spelling?

Post May 26 2008, 3:00 AM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

SonOftheGaels wrote:
Redwolf wrote:There isn't. There really are only Irish forms of names that are Irish to begin with, certain Biblical or saints names, or names with long-standing association with Ireland. None of those applies to "Dylan."

Redwolf

So, what would I do in this situation? Would I do as Méabh suggests in keep it in the Welsh spelling?

Yep. That's all you can do.

Redwolf

Post May 26 2008, 19:41 PM
SonOftheGaels
Getting Addicted

I was reading this website on Irish names here: http://www.namenerds.com/irish/last.html and under "Dillon" (which is basically the same name as Dylan, just spelled differently) it has Diolun.

Is that a valid spelling?

Post May 26 2008, 20:01 PM
scoobytyson
Craiceáilte

Dylan as a surname is Diolún. The English took perfectly good Irish names, many of which had a meaning (or perhaps all at some stage) and turned them into gibberish by Anglicising them. In some cases they just took the nearest equivalent in English and imposed that as the English translation. It does not make sense to do that in reverse by taking a name which is clearly not taken from Irish and looking for a near equivalent in the Irish language.
The money-grabbing wankers who control this site can ban me too. Talk about recruiting trolls! I've spent enough time putting money in their pockets.

Next