Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

Suggestions requested, pet naming

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post May 20 2008, 17:22 PM
Jeseth
New Arrival

I will have a kitten in a few more weeks that has a very unique coloring: solid white, with a black patch on the tail and a black patch on the head over one ear.

I was thinking of using "Bandit" as a starting point, and trying to find an Irish word that would potentially have a similar meaning. Obviously I would prefer to have a basic pronunciation guide as well.

So here are my thoughts to see what the translations are, and any other suggestions are more than welcome:

1) Bandit
2) Rogue
3) Outlaw
4) something akin to the Welsh "brith" (if I have the word correct), as in something that demonstrates the contrast between black and white.

Thank you!

Post May 20 2008, 18:02 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

Jeseth wrote:I will have a kitten in a few more weeks that has a very unique coloring: solid white, with a black patch on the tail and a black patch on the head over one ear.

I was thinking of using "Bandit" as a starting point, and trying to find an Irish word that would potentially have a similar meaning. Obviously I would prefer to have a basic pronunciation guide as well.

So here are my thoughts to see what the translations are, and any other suggestions are more than welcome:

1) Bandit
2) Rogue
3) Outlaw
4) something akin to the Welsh "brith" (if I have the word correct), as in something that demonstrates the contrast between black and white.

Thank you!

Bandit: Tóraí (TOHR-ee)

Rogue: Rógaire (ROH-guh-reh)

Outlaw: Meirleach: (never heard this one pronounced, but my inclination is to say MER-lukh)

I'm not familiar with the Welsh word (or any Welsh words for that matter), but I'm wondering if "breac" (spotty/speckled) -- pronounced "brak" -- would do for that one?

Do wait for more input

Redwolf

Post May 20 2008, 18:17 PM
Tiarnan2
Andúileach IGTF

Gadaí
Burglar, pirate
Gadaí dreapadóireactha
Cat- Burglar ;D
=================

Nuair a shuíonn an coileach péacoige ar a thóin, níl ann ach turcach

Chief Buffalo Breath
===========================

Wisdom is never on the menu, you have to own the restaurant.

Post May 21 2008, 0:51 AM
Méabh
Scríbhneoir d'Éigean

I like foghlaí cat mara but you can call him foghlaí (FO-GLEE) for short

foghlaí na mara = pirate
cat mara = calamity (but has the word cat in it)
Is é Christian Stoehr mo chroí
Dáta pósadh: 16 Deireadh Fómhair 2010

Post May 21 2008, 14:19 PM
Jeseth
New Arrival

Tiarnan2 wrote:Gadaí

Would that be pronounced "GAH dee"

Some excellent suggestions. Thank you all very much.

Two questions:

1) What is the difference between using foghlaí na mara and gadaí for pirate?

2) Another word that came to mind, what would the closest translation of "Desperado" be?

Post May 21 2008, 14:24 PM
Tiarnan2
Andúileach IGTF

Jeseth wrote:
Tiarnan2 wrote:Gadaí

Would that be pronounced "GAH dee"

Some excellent suggestions. Thank you all very much.

Two questions:

1) What is the difference between using foghlaí na mara and gadaí for pirate?

2) Another word that came to mind, what would the closest translation of "Desperado" be?

A man of great taste....
Gadaí is a fairly loose word that can mean the above plus thief robber , and traits of that ilk..Pronunciation in my Dialect would be god/EE more or less
I Suppose Foghlaí na mara would be more specific for sea pirate :mrgreen:
=================

Nuair a shuíonn an coileach péacoige ar a thóin, níl ann ach turcach

Chief Buffalo Breath
===========================

Wisdom is never on the menu, you have to own the restaurant.

Post June 02 2008, 21:38 PM
Jeseth
New Arrival

I believe I have found a name finally: Phantom

Could someone provide the translation if different from taibhse, and if not could someone help me with the pronunciation?

Thanks everyone!

Post June 02 2008, 21:47 PM
10th century
Scéalaí Mór

taibhse is correct for phantom

pronunciation...I cannot help with...sorry

Post June 02 2008, 21:52 PM
10th century
Scéalaí Mór

but you could try here for approximate pronunciation:
http://www.abair.ie/?page=synthesis&lang=eng

type the word in the box, and click on synthesise, then on the arrow on bottom right of box. It will say it for you.

Post June 02 2008, 23:14 PM
An Treasach
Scéalaí Mór

:lach: Our Cabóigín sounds like she's talking Chinese when she says 'taibhse'! I'd pronounce it more like TIV-sheh but I'm not sure other dialects would do so.

Next