Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

love quotes

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post April 24 2008, 1:05 AM
LadyTREEHUGGER
Anseo again

Hello there!, I hope someone can help me..

I'm looking for some nice love quotes, something to engrave a man's ring with.
Any help? :) (pronunciations as well if you please!)

I'm new to learning Irish, haven't learned much yet.... I know "Ta mo chroi istigh ionat" means "my heart is within you", but I'm not sure if it would work for this situation? It's still all a little confusing to me, so pardon my ignorance. :)

- Courtney.

Post April 24 2008, 1:21 AM
10th century
Scéalaí Mór

Is this ring a ring for say your husband, future husband, boyfriend...??

Post April 24 2008, 1:24 AM
10th century
Scéalaí Mór

if so:

eternal love = síorghrá

or a couple more here:
viewposth.522392-highlight-eternal+love.html#522392

Post April 24 2008, 2:17 AM
LadyTREEHUGGER
Anseo again

10th century wrote:Is this ring a ring for say your husband, future husband, boyfriend...??

Fiance, yes... just a gift for our anniversary this June, not a wedding band.

I really like "síorghrá", that's going on my maybe list.

This might sound weird, but is there a translation for the words "cookie" and "cupcake" ?

Post April 24 2008, 2:30 AM
10th century
Scéalaí Mór

briosca=cookie
but that's literally a cookie...not sure if the Irish would ever call someone that.....

with cupcake....again, this would have to be left to the more fluent speakers. :roll:

Post April 24 2008, 2:35 AM
LadyTREEHUGGER
Anseo again

10th century wrote:briosca=cookie
but that's literally a cookie...not sure if the Irish would ever call someone that.....

with cupcake....again, this would have to be left to the more fluent speakers. :roll:

Ahh.
They're just nicknames that we jokingly gave each other (Cookie is me, and I call him Cupcake). It would be nice to include, but if it doesn't make sense in the translation, It'd probably be best to just leave them out..

I did some searching and found this.
"Aon grá amháin, fíor is síor" (One love, true and eternal)
Which I quite like, but it might be TOO long unfortunately..

Post April 24 2008, 2:36 AM
10th century
Scéalaí Mór

leannán = lover

Post April 24 2008, 2:39 AM
10th century
Scéalaí Mór

LadyTREEHUGGER wrote:"Aon grá amháin, fíor is síor" (One love, true and eternal)

you could just do fíor is síor which is true and eternal if you're worried about length...

and I realize the whole pet name thing...but you might wait until tomorrow when others more fluent will see this and they may be able to shed more light on that subject. I am just a beginner and do not have the knowledge yet to inform you on pet names in Irish...

I hope you are able to wait until tomorrow...especially if this will be engraved. It is always best to wait on confirmation. I insist that you do before going to the jeweler. Are you able?

Post April 24 2008, 2:56 AM
LadyTREEHUGGER
Anseo again

10th century wrote:
LadyTREEHUGGER wrote:"Aon grá amháin, fíor is síor" (One love, true and eternal)

you could just do fíor is síor which is true and eternal if you're worried about length...

and I realize the whole pet name thing...but you might wait until tomorrow when others more fluent will see this and they may be able to shed more light on that subject. I am just a beginner and do not have the knowledge yet to inform you on pet names in Irish...

I hope you are able to wait until tomorrow...especially if this will be engraved. It is always best to wait on confirmation. I insist that you do before going to the jeweler. Are you able?

I might, that works too.

And don't worry about it! I've got a few weeks time still. :)

Post April 24 2008, 3:05 AM
10th century
Scéalaí Mór

That's good. Patience is very good when things are permanent. :ja:

And not that you'd want it, but I'll offer it just the same...I personally love
My heart is within you. But again, it might be too long for a ring...
good luck.

Hey, let us know what you go with. And we'd love to see the final product...

Next