Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

Old Irish Alphabet

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post April 22 2008, 13:21 PM
Peadar32
New Arrival

I was wondering if anyone knows of any resources on the internet where I could learn how to use the old Irish alphabet? I was educated under the new system (well not so new now I suppose) using the English one.

Go raibh maith agat,
Peadar

Post April 22 2008, 13:54 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

Do you mean the old font style? (it's the same alphabet as the one currently used...some of the shapes are more stylized, is all). Irish has always been written using the same Latin letters English uses (well, minus a few)

If you go to the fonts listing at left, you can download a seanchló font, and it shouldn't take you too long to figure out. The only two letters that can be hard to keep track of are "r" and "s," as they tend to look similar. The others are pretty straightforward.

Redwolf

Post April 22 2008, 15:28 PM
MisterShamrock
Scéalaí Mór

'Peadar32' - If you are considering learning to write the old style of Irish
writing, I can't recall off-hand of a workbook that can be purchased.

However, one of the community members "mhwombat" would
be able to supply a web page which could be downloaded.

Placing the "master copy" behind a paper sheet would
allow you to proportionately write the old letters.

MisterShamrock
Last edited by MisterShamrock on April 22 2008, 16:23 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Post April 22 2008, 16:02 PM
Peadar32
New Arrival

Thanks for your replies, With regard the letter 'h' I know a dot is normally placed over the letter preceding where the h should be, can anoyone explin what you do if the h is at the start of a word? I notice that the Defence forces "Óglaigh na hÉireann" is written "Óglaig na h-Éireann" in Irish Army cap badges with the dot over the last letter g.

Thanks

Post April 22 2008, 16:23 PM
Christy Quinn.
Craiceáilte

Peadar32 wrote:Thanks for your replies, With regard the letter 'h' I know a dot is normally placed over the letter preceding where the h should be, can anoyone explin what you do if the h is at the start of a word? I notice that the Defence forces "Óglaigh na hÉireann" is written "Óglaig na h-Éireann" in Irish Army cap badges with the dot over the last letter g.

Thanks

Hi, way back when ,I do mean way back, the [H] was written alongside, then placed on top, but written smaller than other letters ,it gradually became just a dot,talking of dots, you never used to dot your [i's] in the old style [pre 1950],this is one problem using the dictionary ,it is difficult to distinguish between a dot on the i and a si/neadh fada , an 'h' is sometines prefixed to Éireann as in Mná na h-Éireann ,this is not a Séimhiu lenition /aspiration or a Buailte as it used to be called. Xty, / is another way to show an í fada.
Wait for more to be sure.
Quae Sursum volo videre.
The Mouth from the South.
An sean duine liath.