Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

Irish gaelic translation of: please, thank you

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post April 20 2008, 12:23 PM
drpagel
New Arrival

Does anyone knows the meaning of "please" in the opposit site of "thank you" in irisch gaelic. Many posts I have found with the context "please help me", but if I put "please" in the translation formular, I have got this answer: "Sorry, no results found. Please try the additional search options."

Post April 20 2008, 12:25 PM
Benjamin
Craic Pusher

Le do thoil
Please

Go raibh maith agat
Thank you

Is this what your asking for, no?

Post April 20 2008, 12:35 PM
drpagel
New Arrival

Yes Sir, Go raibh maith agat !

Post April 20 2008, 15:52 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

Benjamin wrote:Le do thoil
Please

Go raibh maith agat
Thank you

Is this what your asking for, no?

And this is if you're pleasing/thanking one person. If you're talking to multiple people:

Le bhur dtoil

Go raibh maith agaibh

Redwolf

Post May 12 2011, 20:32 PM
Genobis89
New Arrival

What are the pronunciations for both the singular and plural please and thank you?

Post May 12 2011, 20:45 PM
kokoshneta
Giostaire

drpagel wrote:Does anyone knows the meaning of "please" in the opposit site of "thank you" in irisch gaelic.

I’m not sure if I understand you quite correctly here. By “in the opposite site of »thank you«”, do you mean as a reply to ‘thank you’? As in this type of dialogue in German? :
Danke schön.
— Bitte.

’Cause if that’s what you’re referring to, the answers you’ve been given so far are not what you’re looking for. Le do thoil/le bhur dtoil means ‘please’ in the other sense of ‘please help me’; as a reply to thank you, in the ‘you’re welcome’ sense, you’d use Tá fáilte romhat or Fadhb ar bith or a host of other phrases. Unlike German (and, to some extent, English), Irish has no specific, set word that’s always used as a polite reply to ‘thank you’—there’s a lot more variation in the replies given.
Not a native speaker. If in doubt, await native confirmation.