Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

Translation of Fox?

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post March 23 2008, 15:38 PM
drummerbecca
New Arrival

Hello everyone. Sorry, I know there are probably loads of threads about this, but I couldn't establish which was the right translation for me. My family name is Fox, and I wish to use it as the name of a company I'm setting up, as well as a tattoo idea. I was told that the translation I needed for Fox (surname) was Madra Rua, and the translation for Fox Family (tattoo) would be Madra Rua Clann. Can someone confirm is this is right? Thanks in advance for your help.

Post March 23 2008, 15:43 PM
DoireTrasna
Aistritheoir Cíocrach

nope

Ó Sionnaigh (for a male bearer of the name). Female bearers will have a different version depending if they are the wife or daughter of a Fox.

Clann Uí Shionnaigh ~ the Fox family

Post March 23 2008, 15:45 PM
drummerbecca
New Arrival

I'm the daughter. I'm not sure if being the youngest would make any difference either? Thanks :)

Post March 23 2008, 15:47 PM
DoireTrasna
Aistritheoir Cíocrach

then you would be ____ Ní Shionnaigh

The only Fox family I ever knew came from the Crossmaglen area. Not sure if that means that the name is an Armagh name.

Post March 23 2008, 15:49 PM
drummerbecca
New Arrival

Thanks great, thank you so much for your help :) So does that translate back to daughter of Fox? Or is that a silly question? :)

We're from the Antrim area originally, but I now live in Scotland. Very proud of my irish roots though, which is why I want to have the tattoo in irish gaelic.

Post March 23 2008, 15:52 PM
DoireTrasna
Aistritheoir Cíocrach

yes ion is the word for "daughter"; and is pronounced as if the leading i is not there. Ní derived from that.

There are no silly questions; only silly answers :lach:

Post March 23 2008, 15:59 PM
drummerbecca
New Arrival

Thanks ever so much for your help. Glad to have that cleared up :)

So if I wanted to use the gaelic for Fox in a comoany name it would just be Shionnaigh? Could you also tell me how to pronounce it? Sorry, I'm being a real pain!

Post March 23 2008, 16:01 PM
Tiarnan2
Andúileach IGTF

Interesting unsubstantiated hearsay. I was once told some of the Fox clans were Anglicisized Shaughnessys..during the obligatory "Change yer name" period in our history.
=================

Nuair a shuíonn an coileach péacoige ar a thóin, níl ann ach turcach

Chief Buffalo Breath
===========================

Wisdom is never on the menu, you have to own the restaurant.

Post March 23 2008, 16:10 PM
DoireTrasna
Aistritheoir Cíocrach

I don't know what "a comoany name" means

Depending on how you want to use the name, it may vary. give an example(s) of what you want to say.

Post March 23 2008, 16:20 PM
drummerbecca
New Arrival

Sorry, that was supposed to say company, not comoany. I just want to use the name "Fox" for a productions company I'm setting up, so it would be "Shionnaigh Productions" for example?
Tiarnan2, one side of my family is english, the other irish. Not sure if the english side (Fox) spawned from the Shaughnessys or not. Would be interesting to look into I imagine...

Next