Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

Translation of the word "brother".

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post February 05 2008, 19:00 PM
robbikelly
Anseo again

I will be doing a memorial tattoo in honor of my younger brother who passed away suddenly and without warning in August right before his 31st birthday. I want the word "brother" written in a banner across a celtic cross. I was given this trnaslation and wanted more feedback.

This is what I was given:

A dheartháir

Do you agree? Thank you so much in advance.
Robbi

Post February 05 2008, 19:12 PM
Méabh
Scríbhneoir d'Éigean

A dheartháir would be if you were calling out to him "Brother!"

The word "brother" on its own would be deartháir
and "my brother" would be mo dheartháir
Is é Christian Stoehr mo chroí
Dáta pósadh: 16 Deireadh Fómhair 2010

Post February 05 2008, 21:01 PM
robbikelly
Anseo again

thank you! anyone else want to comment or advise? not sure if if i want it to be brother or my brother...which is better in gaelic? thanks!

Post February 05 2008, 21:05 PM
BuachaillBeo
Scéalaí Mór

robbikelly wrote:thank you! anyone else want to comment or advise? not sure if if i want it to be brother or my brother...which is better in gaelic? thanks!

Méabh's is perfect, and any should be fine for the tattoo. I don't think there's any 'better' in gaelic than there would be in the english - just that the "my brother" or "brother" translations couldn't be used as if you were addressing him - it'd be the 'a dheartháir' (which could both of them). Other than that i wouldn't think there's any difference between more suitable or less - so it's whichever you think would be best yourself i suppose. what one would you prefer in English?
Always wait for confirmation on my translations!

Post February 05 2008, 21:08 PM
BuachaillBeo
Scéalaí Mór

seeing as there's no indefinite article in Irish, then 'deartháir' could also mean 'a brother' (as in, someone's brother in general)... though it'd be obvious from the tattoo that this wouldn't be the case.... but the 'mo dheartháir' would make it completely unambiguous like.... both are grand though like

Post February 05 2008, 21:13 PM
robbikelly
Anseo again

i getcha, and you answered what i was looking for! i like mo dhearthair. Thank you both!

Post February 05 2008, 21:36 PM
BuachaillBeo
Scéalaí Mór

robbikelly wrote:i getcha, and you answered what i was looking for! i like mo dheartháir. Thank you both!

Don't forget your fada over the a (a-> á) - wouldn't want you getting a mispelt tattoo

Post February 06 2008, 2:54 AM
robbikelly
Anseo again

LOL, yes, I just couldn't find that on my keyboard! :D