Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

Pronunciation of 'RÍan'

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post January 21 2008, 14:00 PM
mjc
New Arrival

Hello All,

I'd appreciate some help with the pronunciation of the Irish boy's name "RÍan".

Is it 'Ree-Un' with the 'un' the same as that in the word 'begun'?

Thanks for your help and time!

Mjc

Post January 21 2008, 14:01 PM
Méabh
Scríbhneoir d'Éigean

Yes.
Is é Christian Stoehr mo chroí
Dáta pósadh: 16 Deireadh Fómhair 2010

Post January 21 2008, 14:04 PM
Aibigéal
Scríbhneoir d'Éigean

Well, maybe not quite. (Sorry, Méabh!)

It's a schwa - so e as in barren, i as in pencil, etc. Not really a short u as in cup or begun.

Aibigéal

Post January 21 2008, 14:23 PM
Méabh
Scríbhneoir d'Éigean

not a problem - I was never an expert at providing pronunciation
Is é Christian Stoehr mo chroí
Dáta pósadh: 16 Deireadh Fómhair 2010

Post January 21 2008, 14:44 PM
Christy Quinn.
Craiceáilte

mjc wrote:Hello All,

Mjc

Hi , I would say it as in began ''Re -ann''. It really depands on your place of Irish origin. Christy.
Wait for more to be sure.
Quae Sursum volo videre.
The Mouth from the South.
An sean duine liath.

Post January 21 2008, 16:43 PM
Pwyll2
Giostaire

I'm not sure it should be spelt Rían since the group ’ía’ doesn't seem to exist in Modern Irish. I think it must be "Rian", which is pronounced like "ree-an", as Aibí said.
Is fearr Gaeilg chliste ná Gaeilg bhriste

Learn the sounds of Irish here: http://loig.cheveau.ifrance.com/irish/i ... ounds.html & http://annexedicoirlfr.ifrance.com/

Post January 21 2008, 17:13 PM
Patchy
Laoch na nGael

The problem is that name will probably never be pronounced correctly, as the broad N sound doesn't exist in English, and almost nobody speaks Gaelic, and most of those ever-decreasing few that do speak it well wouldn't understand how to read such a new strange word as above to render it correctly phonetically.
I've an aquaintance in Ireland who was so inventive (or thoughtless) as to name her first child (who was minding his own business and never asked for trouble or an unbearable name), wait for it... NAOISE.
Now, besides the fact that generally nobody in Ireland (with the possible exception of the few almost non-existant well-versed Gaelic speakers) will ever know or (after a detailed explanation) be able to remember how to spell it, he will probably never hear it pronounced correctly, or if he does, he will find that it grates on his ears, as he'll be hearing it said with a phoneme that doesn't exist in English, and therefore will sound weird compared to what he's used to.
What he's actually now phonetically called is "Neesher" ("Neasher", "Gnesher"?) or, to put it into Gaelic orthography: "Níse".

Post January 21 2008, 17:35 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

mjc wrote:Hello All,

Mjc

I just want to add here that the "í" should be lower case. Except for in the case of eclipsis, Irish capitalization rules are pretty much the same as English.

Redwolf

Post January 21 2008, 18:52 PM
Pwyll2
Giostaire

In lower case and without the long stroke...
Is fearr Gaeilg chliste ná Gaeilg bhriste

Learn the sounds of Irish here: http://loig.cheveau.ifrance.com/irish/i ... ounds.html & http://annexedicoirlfr.ifrance.com/

Post January 21 2008, 19:09 PM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

Pwyll2 wrote:In lower case and without the long stroke...

Yes, you're right on that. I just checked namenerds for the surname from which this first name was derived, and it's "Ó Riain"...no fada on the "i"

Redwolf

Next