Irish Translation Forum

Ask for Irish Gaelic translations on this English to Irish, Irish to English translator forum.
Irish language translations given on this voluntary community site cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Always ask for a second or third opinion, especially for requests for tattoos, wedding rings, etc.

How do I pronounce this?

Ask for free Irish Gaelic translations. Community-based Irish English translator service.

Moderator: Moderators - Módhnóirí

Post July 16 2007, 5:48 AM
Sparkyplug
Anseo again

I hate to be a bum but I believe I forgot to ask how to pronounce a phrase I'd asked about on a post I did last week and have just now got around to doing it. The phrase was.

an laindear dearg= The Red Lantern.

I'm horrible at being able to pronounce things efficiently, especially in Gaelic.

any help would be welcomed.

Post July 16 2007, 5:58 AM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

Sparkyplug wrote:I hate to be a bum but I believe I forgot to ask how to pronounce a phrase I'd asked about on a post I did last week and have just now got around to doing it. The phrase was.

an laindear dearg= The Red Lantern.

I'm horrible at being able to pronounce things efficiently, especially in Gaelic.

any help would be welcomed.

You've got a wee typo there:

An Laindéar Dearg (accents definitely matter in this language!). Another option to laindéar, by the way, is "lóchrann".

For the one you have, I'd say:

un LAN-jayr JAR-ug

If you'd rather use "lóchrann," I'd say:

un LOH-khran JAR-ug (where the first syllable rhymes with "mow," and the "kh" represents a gutteral sound like the "ch" in Bach or loch)

Redwolf

Post July 18 2007, 2:43 AM
Sparkyplug
Anseo again

ok, but the jayr part is that pronounced JAR, or YAR?

I now know it is not pronounced Lan-DEER... so I'd assume it is pronounced Yar? or is it Jair...(rhymes with chair?)

Is Laindear the word Lantern? (Scuse me for not being able to get this thing to type accents with an apostrophe.)

Is Dearg the word for Red?

It is awful complicated, I never understood how in a foreign language they can't use letters like how it is spelled in English. I don't write the rules however, I just try to abide by them and accept them for what they are.

I'm a babe in the woods on this one and got a long way to go.

Post July 18 2007, 2:48 AM
yort
Scéalaí Mór

Heck, in English we barely use letters like we do in English. :)
In the battle between Troy and his flute, the flute always wins because Troy is afraid of the woodchipper :)
troy.kay@gmail | kothz@chiff | kothz@thesession

Post July 18 2007, 2:49 AM
Redwolf
Ard-Banríon na Ráiméise

Sparkyplug wrote:ok, but the jayr part is that pronounced JAR, or YAR?

I now know it is not pronounced Lan-DEER... so I'd assume it is pronounced Yar? or is it Jair...(rhymes with chair?)

Is Laindear the word Lantern? (Scuse me for not being able to get this thing to type accents with an apostrophe.)

Is Dearg the word for Red?

It is awful complicated, I never understood how in a foreign language they can't use letters like how it is spelled in English. I don't write the rules however, I just try to abide by them and accept them for what they are.

I'm a babe in the woods on this one and got a long way to go.

Laindéar is "lantern," yes. "Dearg" is "red." In Irish, the adjective follows the noun.

The second syllable rhymes with "chair.

Why would English be the standard by which other people determine their phonics? English is a late-comer on the linguistic stage...Irish has been around a lot longer! Why doesn't English use letters the way Irish uses them?

Redwolf

Post July 18 2007, 2:51 AM
wdsci
Aistritheoir Cíocrach

And Irish phonics make a lot more sense too :wink: seriously though, in Irish, once you learn the rules, you can pronounce anything, unlike English where there are exceptions all over the place.

:) David
The following is a signature:
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way
Always wait for confirmation on my translations!
Looking to preview Celtic fonts?

http://www.ellipsix.net/textwriter/render.html